Wellll... I'm getting back in the saddle.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't in the mood to work on the projects I have on the go this weekend. Taking a break.

Yesterday I racked two 6 gallon carboys. I was planning to bottle, but wasn't sure if I picked up any sediment in the transfer. I shone a flashlight through the Pinot Grigio, and although cleared, it wasn't crystal clear. I decided to run to town to get a filter housing for poly spun filters and set up with a vacuum pump. Just to put it out as a warning one more time, I used a Buon Vino last time and it gave the wine a soap taste. I will never touch a wine with their filters again.

Anyway... I set myself up to bottle and sanitized them and left them drying on the tree. I also purchased some new bottles, which I have seen people note they do not sanitize before use.

Any concerns of using new bottles or ones sanitized yesterday. I'd rather waste time than wine.

Don't know if it is required or not, but if I sanitize bottles and don't use them within a few hours, they get sanitized again. And always sanitize new, again, needed? Who knows cheap insurance I figure.
Like I said, I'd rather waste time than wine. I didn't need much encouragement, so I'll run them ALL through when I set up.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum -- I clean bottles, let them dry, and put them upside down in clean cases. I visually inspect before use, but don't sanitize. If the bottles were dry when stored and the mouth is sealed against the cardboard, there's nothing in the bottle for anything to grown on.

If the bottles were not dry when put away or were stored upright, I'd sanitize. Note that commercial winery don't generally treat bottles -- they go from the case into the bottling line.

OTOH, if you feel better sanitizing, do it.

Latest posts

Back