To cover or not to cover?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumby

Wine improves with age, I improve with wine
Reaction score
Thoughts on sealing primary fermenter during fermentation? Do I need to seal and use a air lock? The last few batches I made I just set the lid on my bucket and covered with a clean towel. The lid has a hole for the air lock which I left open but covered.

Thoughts on sealing primary fermenter during fermentation? Do I need to seal and use a air lock? The last few batches I made I just set the lid on my bucket and covered with a clean towel. The lid has a hole for the air lock which I left open but covered.

My usually process is to plug the airlock hole with a mini bung, and leave the lid just resting on the fermentor bucket.
Just recently, since it is cold out I had heavy blankets laid over the top of the bucket, but the lid was still cracked a bit.

When it is time to snap the lid down, I replace the mini bung with an airlock.

I try to avoid just putting a towel over the top, and towels are not sturdy enough to fend off anything from falling in (ie: mice, dog paws, little kid hands, anything kids would drop into the must).

but the lid, left on just loosely and a towel will allow air etc....etc....

:sm

I never seal it, it needs that oxygen plus by leaving on a loose lid or towel, you can get to it easier for daily stirring.

I rest the lid on the bucket then cover the lid with a towel. I don't snap it down because I have a aquarium heater in the must to keep it warm during fermentation. I usually leave it like that for the first 5-7 days before racking.

I like others will just throw a towel or a loose lid to prevent bugs getting in - but it needs the oxygen to get the proper fermentation at this stage.

With reds, I tend to do open fermenttations with stirring ( to get in O2) most of the way through the ferment. However, for whites I tend to not stir much perhaps after a day after the lag phase.

There are as many techniques and preferences to wine making as there are wines themselves. Yeast needs Oxygen to develop aerobically (Reproduce) once the colony is strong, being deprived of Oxygen forces the yeast to develop anaerobically (Produce alcohol) In theory even must being stired will develop alcohol as stirring cannot introduce sufficient alcohol to fuel the entire colony within a strong ferment.

Some prefer to build a strong colony, by stirring a day or two, then force the yeast to go Anaerobic.
Both measures work fine , However, to truly understand which measure is best one must understand the yeast, and other variables. The desired results can also play a role. as well as the medium being used.
The only wrong way to make wine is the one that does not work at all. It is all subjective and a personal choice. Half the fun in wine making is the learning, and the experimentation. I often Drink My Mistakes!

Back