Anyone Use Pharmaceutical Plastic Shipping Barrels for Primary Fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluff

Reaction score
Has anyone used a plastic bucket that pharmaceuticals (like aspirin powder) were shipped in for primary fermentation? I see a lot of these on FB market. The aspirin powder was in a plastic bag during shipment, they are food grade, and have an airtight lid.

Has anyone used a plastic bucket that pharmaceuticals (like aspirin powder) were shipped in for primary fermentation? I see a lot of these on FB market. The aspirin powder was in a plastic bag during shipment, they are food grade, and have an airtight lid.

Food grade, I would probably use it. Don't care about an airtight lid, I normally just set the lid on to keep stuff out or cover it with a cloth.

Agreed with Craig. What type of plastic is stamped onto the bottom of the bucket.
On my part I have used a number of collected food containers but not that plastic when used with paint etc. @sluff Specific for your source, a container with a polyethylene bag liner may still not be food grade so check the code.

As pointed out above, if they are food grade plastics, there will likely be no problems. I have not used buckets used for pharmaceuticals, but I have used 55 gallon barrels I bought for $5 each in the 1990's that were used to ship lime juice from South America and had no issues.

Agreed with Craig. What type of plastic is stamped onto the bottom of the bucket.
On my part I have used a number of collected food containers but not that plastic when used with paint etc. @sluff Specific for your source, a container with a polyethylene bag liner may still not be food grade so check the code.
Thanks! Will do.

Latest posts

Back