Blue heavy plastic barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearpaw8491

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just "re-discovered" 3 blue plastic barrels that have been in the shop attack for 25-30 yrs. There is no detectable odor on/in the barrels and the only marking/labeling I can find is:

harcostar 1991
1H2/y78/s/91

GB/0084

I have no idea what they may have contained or what they were used for or even where I got them! :oops:
They are made of heavy plastic, the lids are lockable via a metal compression band and the capacity looks to be in the 25-30 gal range.

I think they would make a good fermenter but I'm totally uncertain about the safety.
Any thoughts/info appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_2067.JPG
    DSC_2067.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2069.JPG
    DSC_2069.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Oops! that should have been attic not attack! "Fat fingered" again! :slp
My old LHBS used to get bulk juice in barrels that look like that. They would then sell you as much as you wanted. Just a guess but the lid might be a clue. Leakproof? To ship juice it would have to be. Grains, powder, etc not so much.

Very nice!
From my prepper days, blue containers are generally for potable water or edibles but they could hold anything. Those are virtually indestructible.
The 1H2 number is a UN code, drum-plastic-open head.
The 78 is max weight of contents in kilograms. If it had a decimal it would refer to specific gravity of liquids. In other words, it was intended for solids.
Don't know about the other numbers/letters. GB could be Great Britain where it was manufactured?
If I had them I would seriously think about using them for wine making, too!

Thanks to all for the information. The lids are fitted with recessed gaskets so seems reasonable that they contained or were designed for liquid. I'll give them a good scrubbing -they are dirty/dusty from storage and see if I can find any other designations esp. the decimal like Dave mentioned.
The guy who gave them to me checked them, they are food grade.
I didn't find any indication (#2 in triangle, etc) that would indicate food grade.
Bryan: Did yours contain any such markings or numbers similar to pictures above?

I didn't find any indication (#2 in triangle, etc) that would indicate food grade.
Bryan: Did yours contain any such markings or numbers similar to pictures above?
I don't recall. I gave them to @VinesnBines so no longer have them.

The guy who gave them to me (part of our local grape purchasing group in 2019) said he got them from work. I can't recall what was in them, but it was nothing bad.

I am sure that they are more than likely food grade. However, not knowing what was in them prior to your finding them in the attic would be my big concern. It is "probably" safe, but then again.
That's an excellent point -- if used for any pickled product, not a good choice.

I'd add a lot of Oxyclean, fill with water, and let soak overnight. While I don't expect that will cure pickle residue, it should remove anything organic.

The Oxyclean is an outstanding idea and will give it a shot after a good scrubbing. Anything else to do after the Oxyclean other than a good rinse?

I've done some more research on the numbers and can't find any additional information beyond Dave's post above. The search will continue to satisfy my curiosity as much as anything and will post findings (if any) for future reference.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back