Can Fermentation Smell get on other wines which are stored in SS tanks with floating lid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artooks

Reaction score
Hi,

There is one thing that I am wondering, lets assume that you have 50 liters of wine stored in an SS Tank with floating lid and waterless air lock, and at the same time you do another country wine during this initial fermentation is it possible that the fermentation smell could get on to the the wine which has been previously stored in the tank, could the fermentation smell alter that wines smell and taste in any way ?

Also, most of the smells are the result of biological/chemical reactions and are usually present in parts per million or even parts per billion. Seems to me for such a small amount to affect a large amount that biological/chemical reaction(s) would need to restart.

Is this an "out of curiosity" question or "asking for a friend" who did something? 😄

Also, most of the smells are the result of biological/chemical reactions and are usually present in parts per million or even parts per billion. Seems to me for such a small amount to affect a large amount that biological/chemical reaction(s) would need to restart.

Is this an "out of curiosity" question or "asking for a friend" who did something? 😄
Hi,

Thanks for the reply no I am asking this question for myself, this is the first time that I did a wine and I work at a very small room that I hardly turn around I also brew beer, If I am not wrong once I read somewhere that do not even put on perfume near you wine it can get to it, so I started to wondering if I ferment other wines or beers if they could alter the wine.

I don't believe so. Your tank is airlocked, so how can anything get in?
Thanks the reason that I wondered is because I read somewhere that do not even put on perfume near you wine it can get to it, so I started to wondering if I ferment other wines or beers if they could alter the wine

Thanks the reason that I wondered is because I read somewhere that do not even put on perfume near you wine it can get to it, so I started to wondering if I ferment other wines or beers if they could alter the wine
AFAIK that's completely untrue. And it doesn't make sense -- during active fermentation the wine or beer is blowing off a lot of CO2, and post-fermentation, it's in a sealed container. And as Dave pointed out, what you smell is actually small parts-per-million, which is unlikely to have effect on relatively large quantities of liquid.

If it was a living creature, e.g., yeast, then the possibility of contamination is there, e.g., don't make vinegar in your winemaking area.

This is actually a good question -- you heard it, so it's likely others have as well, and we documented that it's negative.

Be very cautious of trusting blogs and YouTube -- there's a lot of junk science and non-science available. Forums like this one have dozens (actually hundreds) of experienced winemakers who can and will debunk incorrect statements.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply no I am asking this question for myself, this is the first time that I did a wine and I work at a very small room that I hardly turn around I also brew beer, If I am not wrong once I read somewhere that do not even put on perfume near you wine it can get to it, so I started to wondering if I ferment other wines or beers if they could alter the wine.
I agree with Bryan, it is a good question. FWIW, I also ferment vegetables, make kombucha and vinegar and haven't had any problems yet. The yeast and bacteria are everywhere and a door won't stop them. Normal sanitation procedures should work. And with an active fermentation the yeast are rather bloodthirsty when it come to interlopers.

AFAIK that's completely untrue. And it doesn't make sense -- during active fermentation the wine or beer is blowing off a lot of CO2, and post-fermentation, it's in a sealed container. And as Dave pointed out, what you smell is actually small parts-per-million, which is unlikely to have effect on relatively large quantities of liquid.

If it was a living creature, e.g., yeast, then the possibility of contamination is there, e.g., don't make vinegar in your winemaking area.

This is actually a good question -- you heard it, so it's likely others have as well, and we documented that it's negative.

Be very cautious of trusting blogs and YouTube -- there's a lot of junk science and non-science available. Forums like this one have dozens (actually hundreds) of experienced winemakers who can and will debunk incorrect statements.
Thank you very much it is very clear now

I agree with Bryan, it is a good question. FWIW, I also ferment vegetables, make kombucha and vinegar and haven't had any problems yet. The yeast and bacteria are everywhere and a door won't stop them. Normal sanitation procedures should work. And with an active fermentation the yeast are rather bloodthirsty when it come to interlopers.
Thank you very much

It is said that airlocks can only hold the gas but cannot hold against smell so if you have a wine aging in a big tank like 14 gallon it can leach smell they say but I am a littlle bit confused on this subject what do you guys think ?

Aroma is particles in the air that interact with sensors in your sinuses, e.g., it's all gases or particles small enough to float.

I have no idea where you're getting information, but it's wrong.

Aroma is particles in the air that interact with sensors in your sinuses, e.g., it's all gases or particles small enough to float.

I have no idea where you're getting information, but it's wrong.
we have a local wine enthusiast group and I asked this question because I also ferment sugar washes and beers in the same room that I store my wine, so a lot of people were against this idea but as you can imagine there is always this type of discussions in this type of groups, but what I am wondering is can wine stored in a tank under waterless airlock attract strong odors, such as vinegar, garlic, perfume or my question another fermentation smell ? it's just that I am afraid that due to this I can spoil the taste of wine, thanks.

I ferment beer and wine in my cellar using the same equipment, and have never had a problem, even when they're fermenting at the same time.

OTOH, I make kombucha in my kitchen, not my winemaking area, and if I made other fermented products, I'd not make them in the cellar, either.

If you have a few (or a lot) PPM of particles in a wine, it probably will have no effect. OTOH, if you get any type of living organism in the wine, it may start growing, hence why I ferment kombucha in the kitchen, not the cellar.

And as noted above, if your wine is in a sealed container, nothing can get in.

Back