Tips for Wine from Frozen Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
I've ordered several Chilean frozen juice buckets (6 gal each). These are reds, Malbec and Carmenere. I appreciate advise from those of you that have made wine from frozen juice. I understand that the wine is already yeasted. I also expect that both brix and pH have been adjusted. I will still check pH and SG. I plan to add oak and yeast nutrient as fermentation progresses. I also hope to go through MLF. Should I treat the juice as if it were juice from fresh grapes?

Thanks for the feedback.

PCharles

Yes, you've hit on most all of the points I would mention. One thing you didn't mention that is worth considering is adding a grape pack or raisins to the juice to give it some extra body/tannins. You might consider using an 'artificial' tannin additives (e.g., Tan Cor Grand Cru), although I have no experience with them personally. It's not necessary, but some feel the frozen juice makes a noticeably thinner wine than wine from grapes, although the flavor is still good. You can probably plan to leave those reds to bulk age for at least 6 months, if not a year.

I've been hearing that if the juice buckets are already balanced (for pH, brix and TA) that MLF will little effect. Would that just be 1 suppliers juice or common with all juiced that are balanced? anyway, I think it would be worth checking into.

I've been hearing that if the juice buckets are already balanced (for pH, brix and TA) that MLF will little effect. Would that just be 1 suppliers juice or common with all juiced that are balanced? anyway, I think it would be worth checking into.

shoebiedoo,

In regards to the MLF, IMO, prior adjustment of pH, brix, and TA should have no effect on the need and effectiveness of MLF. One reason not to perform MLF would be if sorbate had been added.

Does anyone have additional information regarding MLF with frozen juice?

shoebiedoo,

In regards to the MLF, IMO, prior adjustment of pH, brix, and TA should have no effect on the need and effectiveness of MLF. One reason not to perform MLF would be if sorbate had been added.

Don't want any sorbate if you are doing an MLF, that's for sure.

Actually, the better balanced the juice, the easier it will go through MLF. Reason is MLF as a minium PH and a maximum sulfite level. If either is out of range, either adjustments have to be made or a special MLF bacteria must be used.

shoebiedoo,

PCharles,

the point about the wine not needing to go thru an MLF on one of these juice buckets that have been balanced is the amount of time that it will age.

I talked with the winemaker at Luva Bellas and he explained that if you are drinking these wines within two years then there really is no benefit of doing an MLF. You would not taste the difference, if you are going to let them age for 2 to 3 years then yes you will benefit from an MLF.

I bought the Malbec last year and I did not do an MLF but I did backsweeten slightly, .998. I am very much enjoying it.

I believe this year I will be doing MLF on my Chilean Reds. This is a controversy that will not end. I have heard strong opinions either way. After getting professional opinions on last years Chilean, they said it was good but would have benefited from MLF.

At this point I'm planning to do MLF. I'd appreciate recommendations for grape skins and or raisins. Thanks for info regarding sources.

Grape packs

+1.

Are grape packs available for purchase seperate from kits? I am new to all of this, but haven't seen grape packs for sale anywhere.

Thanks

+1.

Are grape packs available for purchase seperate from kits? I am new to all of this, but haven't seen grape packs for sale anywhere.

Thanks

I too was hoping to lay my hands on some grape packs. I recalled that The Wine Makers Toy Store carried grape skins. I check out their web page and did find the skins listed. I called them and found out that their supplier is nolonger providing this product. The folks at the Toy Store were very friendly and helpful. A fellow their had personal experience with Chilian frozen juice. He indicated that his wine wone a bronze award with no added skins or raisens. I've decided to go with toasted French oak and a dash of wine tannin.

A local winery I know makes a rose' wine. The skins are kept in the wine for only eight hours. I hope to lay my hands on some of those skins which I plan to freeze. I'll add them to my frozen juice next year. These skins are from Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot grapes, and should work just fine.

That is not too bad a price. If you figure that it is 22 pounds of skins for $75. I was going to make my own by cooking down Cab Sauv and I would probably have to pay about $45 for a 36 pound lug. If I reduced the grapes by two thirds (which I estimated), $90 (2 lugs or 72 pounds) would yield about 24 pounds. Nice thing too is it is free delivery. I would have to seriously re-think doing this myself.

Latest posts

Back