Timing to compleation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblingbrew

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there right my hydrometer readings before the start of fermentation to a 1 gallon batch was 1.060 so my alcohol percentage will be around 6% to 7% the temperature is around 65 degrees and a pack of yeast was added to start it all off. But what i want to know is there any way of calculating the time that the fermentation will finish or a approximation of how long it will take?

Many thanks.

There is no way to really calculate it. There are just too many factors but it is usually complete in 1 to 2 weeks. sugar, heat, type of yeast, type of fruit, acidity all play a factor. Patience is important and keep checking your hydrometer. A little worried about your temperature though. I am not saying it won't ferment but it tends to work better at 70 or even higher.

Jdaddy is right, there is no way to determine how long the fermentation will last. but a hydrometer doesnt lie. If the reading is the same 3 seperate tests then it has usually stopped then your ready to Rack. But if your still not sure wait a few more days, or when u have time (the beauty of Winemaking).
The one thing that knowone wants is bottled wine that wants to start fermenting again......Big mess.....:(

haha yeah i have heard that bottles explode last thing i want is glass everywhere the wife will kill me. But i will do those readings in a week or two and have a look. thank you

Hi there right my hydrometer readings before the start of fermentation to a 1 gallon batch was 1.060 so my alcohol percentage will be around 6% to 7% the temperature is around 65 degrees and a pack of yeast was added to start it all off. But what i want to know is there any way of calculating the time that the fermentation will finish or a approximation of how long it will take?

Many thanks.

Not really - different yeasts perform differently - also wines ferment differently under different environments, temp, humidity, etc.

Best way is to just monitor it with a hydrometer. When the SG gets around 1.005 - rack to secondary and let ferment to dry. Once the fermentation is complete (3 days of the same reading) rack again to a clean vessel.

There is no time schedule indeed !!!

Yeast is living material and many things influence its performance.
Sugar level is one, acid level another, temperature is an influence as is temperature fluctuation etc etc etc.

I have had an apple wine from store bought apple-juice that finished fermenting in just 4 days.
I am now fermenting a store bought juice being grape-lemon and that is just now finishing after 10 days. I believe that is due to the dropping temperatures over here.

Best way do determine if a wine is finished is indeed to test a sample with your hydrometer.

Luc

I agree with above, but at 65 degrees I would say that it could take several weeks (2 or 3 - as a "don't quote me on this" ball park estimate). Of course, many variable factors come in to play. As fermentation progresses, and if you take SG readings at regular intervals, you can end up with a better estimate as a matter of course.

Latest posts

Back