Mosti Mondiale Time to start this Gran Barolo!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
Wow. Raisins, oak chips (2 kinds!), all sorts of bags. This one looks complicated. I may need fortification before firing this one up.

Go for it Trashy....
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

Question - is the standard beer & wine 'deluxe' fermenter bucket large enough for a 23L kit?

Sounds great Trashy. Most kits are 23 liters, the others just make up the 23 liters with some water. This one just has more juice. It will probably stay within the bucket, but you may need to split it for a couple days once everything is mixed and it gets going. If it is close and you split it, just recombine in a couple days when it subsides a bit.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've done a 23L kit in these buckets before. The new instructions mention needing 6.6 - 8 gallons, that kinda threw me off a bit.

Keep an eye on it as the raisin pack displaces some volume which can bring a vigorous fermentation very close or beyond the limits of our 7.9 gallon fermenters!

trashy said:
will it blow the lid off?
For the first few days keep the lid OFF !
Theyeast need O2 to do its job.

7.9 gallon is going to give you 29.9 liter and by the time you add the raisin pack you will be pushing it. I think i would go with applemans reomendation of splitting it

Waldo said:
7.9 gallon is going to give you 29.9 liter and by the time you add the raisin pack you will be pushing it. I think i would go with applemans reomendation of splitting it

no, it's a 23L kit, they just say you need a container up to 8 gallons for fermentation. I really don't anticipate problems here, was just a bit confused by their recommendation. I've always used a sealed lid w/ airlock, never had a problem.

What I meant trashy was that a 7.9 gallon fermenter would hold 29.9 liter and that the the 23liter kit you have would be, in my opinion, pushing the envelope by the time you added the raisin pack

Waldo said:
What I meant trashy was that a 7.9 gallon fermenter would hold 29.9 liter and that the the 23liter kit you have would be, in my opinion, pushing the envelope by the time you added the raisin pack

So what is the exact volume of these buckets? 7 gallons? Is a raisin pack really going to add a gallon of volume?

I'm confused.

You have a 23 liter kit(just juice) and then added volume with the raisin pack and also the oak packet if that goes into primary also. These kits typically ferment BIG TIME and can really foam up to the lid or beyond using a 7.9 gallon fermenting bucket. I would either leave the lid loose or do it in 2 buckets cause if the lid is on with airlock it could build up and create a geyser and blow the airlock right out as a raisin can get in the airlock and plug it and rocket right out of there causing a mural on your ceiling!
smiley36.gif

I'll second what Wade said. I got a 10 gallon fermenter just for these kits with raisins or grape packs. Several times I have had to clean off the lid. Fortunately the juice and the foam stayed in the bucket, don't know if I would be saying that with the 7.9 fermenter.
VPC

wade said:
You have a 23 liter kit(just juice) and then added volume with the raisin pack and also the oak packet if that goes into primary also. These kits typically ferment BIG TIME and can really foam up to the lid or beyond using a 7.9 gallon fermenting bucket. I would either leave the lid loose or do it in 2 buckets cause if the lid is on with airlock it could build up and create a geyser and blow the airlock right out as a raisin can get in the airlock and plug it and rocket right out of there causing a mural on your ceiling!
smiley36.gif

ok, now you have my attention
smiley3.gif

I'm not worried about foam on the lid, but raisins in the airlock could be bad...

This brings up another question. After perusing Mosti Mondiale's new instructions I see that they recommend covering the pail with the lid, but not sealing it. They say this is so that the fermentation has an oxygen source. I am wondering how much oxygen will be sucked in as opposed to gases being expelled?

I dont see how any 02 can be introduced with the lid sitting on the primary unless its set up off center. I do see it letting more gas out much easier. If your looking for more 02 in there then cover it with a cloth and elastic band to keep the cloth from sagging into the wine.

ok, I just put it in the regular 7 gallon (?) fermenter bucket. Ain't got time to wait another week.

Starting SG 1.088

Back