Thoughts on elderberry wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure Jack, but it was from when you sent it to me. I think it is mostly just the elderberry flavor that is bothering me. Wish it wasn't as they are pretty easy to come by. Arne.

Arne how long are you leaving it age? And you can add oak to Elderberry, maybe that would help out with the flavor

Arne how long are you leaving it age? And you can add oak to Elderberry, maybe that would help out with the flavor

Have to look for sure, but believe I started it in Feb. Still sitting in the secondary. Will probably bottle in the spring sometime. Will see what happens by then. Arne.

Arne, I make 10 gals. of Elderberry each year from dried berries. The first tastes are a little "rough", better after 12 mo. & very good at 18 mo. I blended with Blueberry, great; added froz. concord grape juice, good; even blended it with a "weak" Cab. really improved the Cab. Bottom line give it TIME! Roy

Arne---Before you decide not to make any more elderberry wine, be aware that this is one of the fussiest fruits to work with. You can't get by with "almost ripe" fruit. Maybe you're not letting them hang long enough. They need to black as midnight before you pick them. It takes me WEEKS to pick them all because they don't all ripen at once. Throw them in the freezer as you pick. As you know, freezing gets you more juice,too.

Picking them in the unripe state and/or getting too many stems in the must will give it a vegital taste. We use 6# per gallon because we want a real intense elderberry for blending. It goes real well with concord. But our best use of it, to date, is a mix of 2 gallons oaked concord, 2 gallons elderberry, one gallon blackberry. Very complex tasting. Elderberry straight up isn't one of our favs, but using it to blend gives you some fantastic wines. Oaked elderberry is very fine,also. Cracked Cork makes a real nice one.

Arne, I make 10 gals. of Elderberry each year from dried berries. The first tastes are a little "rough", better after 12 mo. & very good at 18 mo. I blended with Blueberry, great; added froz. concord grape juice, good; even blended it with a "weak" Cab. really improved the Cab. Bottom line give it TIME! Roy

It isn't going anywhere, but from time to time I have to have a taste. Bout the same every time. Will give it some more time and see what happens. Arne.

I just started my elderberry wine the other day. I have one question for you guys that have made it before. Does it stink when you make it? It smells like weeds or grass a real weird smell. Has anybody had this. It's on the second day of fermenting. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back