"There She Blows" SOB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:ibAll this talk of bottle bombs you guys jinxed me. I went down in the basement and saw a wet spot and sure enough on the top rack was a bottle without a cork or shrink wrap. This was my Country Apple, one of my favorite wines.

Quick check of the rest of the bottles showed all corks were fine or slightly recessed in the bottle.

The wine left in the bottled appeared to be very cloudy. Quick check of the other bottles and they are crystal clear.

There was about 1/3 of the wine left in the bottle. I shook it up like a coke bottle and released my thumb. It was full of carbonation. Opened a new bottle and cork came out normal. Shooked the crap out of it and no gas.

Was I sabotaged. Did someone sneak an Alika seltzer in it. Did Julie really mean it when she said something about paybacks? All bottles were sanitized prior to bottling. WTF. :ib

Last edited:
Well I tried to tell you and you wouldn't listen. ::

Actually, if you remember I had the same thing happen to me last summer. I had a bottle of elderberry pop it's cork, spilled wine all over the place and all other bottles were fine. And they stayed fine. I watched them for 6 months and nothing ever happen to the rest. At the time we were having some severe thunderstorms. I always wonder if it was pressure from the storm but really have no idea.

Well the good news is; This happened in the regular part of the basement on one of my over flow racks and not in the wine cellar. I found the shrink capsule but still haven't found the cork.

Sounds like it was just a case of premature ecorkulation.

I have heard it happens to some inexperienced winemakers. Have not personally experienced it myself...... :sm

Sounds like it was just a case of premature ecorkulation.

I have heard it happens to some inexperienced winemakers. Have not personally experienced it myself...... :sm

wolfandhare2.jpg

"Inquiring Minds Want To Know"---Why would one bottle out of the entire batch pop the cork?

Mike there is always a first cork to go and I fully expected to see the rest ready to go for what ever reason. But as I posted earlier there are no signs of further pops. Back to your question this is the answer we are looking for. It happened to Julie last year.

Now is a good time for all of us to check all bottles and carboys. As the temp goes up, the wine will expand and probably pop corks or send wine up into air locks. Dan, maybe this bottle was just a little too full, it is an omen to check things out. I was forced to taste wine from a full carboy yesterday, I really hate that forced tasting, oh yeh. The Malbec is really good. :b

Seems like this happens with apple more often than the others. I had it happen with apple and blamed it on either bad sorbate or no sorbate. It was written down in my notes that I added it, but who knows. I had 3 bottles let loose, its been over a year and still have only found one of the corks. Course I do not have a nice wine making room, just cleaned out a spot in the junk filled basement. Corks are there somewhere, maybe the kids will find em years from now when they have our auction. That will probably be the only way the basement gets cleaned out. lol, Arne.

Latest posts

Back