The next (unofficial) competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not too sure how these are organized or if there is even a protocol to follow.

Would it be too forward of me to suggest the next competition??

My thinking is to have one based on the type of wine that I love best.
How about a "Big-n-Bold" red wine competition?

My thinking is that this could be open to any form of oaky deep and bold red wine.

I would also love to judge something like this...

big reds

OK,BIG REDS I HAVE A CHANCE AT THAT ,I'LL LET THE JUDGES :ftCHOSE,AMARONE,VALPOLICELLA,SANGIOVESE,BRNELLO,SHIRAZ,MALBEC OR CABERNET.ALL AT LEAST 4 TO 5 YEARS OLD AND READY FOR TRANFER...:spm

Big reds

:slpOK, BUT AT LEAST 1 YEAR OLD AND ONLY 375 BOTTLES NEED TO BE SENT THAT'S ENOUGH TO JUDGE BY.:u.. SHOULD IT BE BROKEN DOWN INTO CATEGORIES?:sm THERE IS MORE TO A GOOD CONTEST EVEN IN FUN TO MAKE IT COMPETITIVE.:picAND BALANCED.WHAT DO YOU SAY?:mny

:slpOK, BUT AT LEAST 1 YEAR OLD AND ONLY 375 BOTTLES NEED TO BE SENT THAT'S ENOUGH TO JUDGE BY.:u.. SHOULD IT BE BROKEN DOWN INTO CATEGORIES?:sm THERE IS MORE TO A GOOD CONTEST EVEN IN FUN TO MAKE IT COMPETITIVE.:picAND BALANCED.WHAT DO YOU SAY?:mny

I guess that all depends on how many entries we get. If we, say, only get 8 entries, then we could simply judge the wines on their own merits within only one category. If we do get enough entries, I would think that we could break it out by varietal in such a manor...

Cab Sav,
San Gio,
Merlot,
Other Varietals
Red Blends

I agree that the wines need to be at least 1 year old, Open to Grape Wines Only, and Kits, Pail Juice, and Fresh Fruit wines are all eligible.

I also am thinking that we should employ the UC Davis scoring method.

Whacha think Joe?

I would take 50% of the number of people who put their names in the hat and see if it still makes sense. There were a lot of folks intested in the port competition who never showed up again.

4score

SO AT THIS juncture that's good, and yes I agree with you(4score )port makers? but by not allowing kits to enter 95% of the people on this forum whom never came in contact WITH A true port this was there only format to try, they Should HAVE never been left out. Or at least under port kits separately.
NOW, you see why not to many people showed up ,so if were going to do it for fun then everyone should come out and play, don't you think? These are just my oppion .:try.I THINK THIS SHOULD BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR ALL.:wyAND WE HAVE THE TALENT AND FORUM TO DO IT WITH...............................................................:db..imagine if we could make it a real event..........it could be national!

Last edited:
SO AT THIS juncture that's good, and yes I agree with you(4score )port makers? but by not allowing kits to enter 95% of the people on this forum whom never came in contact WITH A true port this was there only format to try, they Should HAVE never been left out. Or at least under port kits separately.
NOW, you see why not to many people showed up ,so if were going to do it for fun then everyone should come out and play, don't you think? These are just my oppion .:try.I THINK THIS SHOULD BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR ALL.:wyAND WE HAVE THE TALENT AND FORUM TO DO IT WITH...............................................................:db..imagine if we could make it a real event..........it could be national!

Personally, I didn't care, kit or not, I was just making a point that even after folks know the rules and say they will play, they don't show up. So don't count on the early numbers.

OK, so I think we may have some thing here.

my thinking is that joeswine and I will be judges.

I also think that we could set a date far off enough (say mid October?) To give folks plenty of time to get their entries shipped.

OK, so I think we may have some thing here.

my thinking is that joeswine and I will be judges.

I also think that we could set a date far off enough (say mid October?) To give folks plenty of time to get their entries shipped.

I dunno John. Maybe you should announce a date a month earlier to get them all in at your target date. You know how some people are. :bt

Here's a thought, since both judges are well versed in all or most red varietals, as well as how they should should taste at their given age, maybe there could be two or three categories. Say 0-2 years, 2-4 and so on. Possibly even the same for Ports if people are still interested in sending some in. (I would as long as kits are included).
Now I realize that may take a little longer to judge if both ports and reds are in the same contest. But it would save on shipping and Joe will have time to recover.

I hold no monopoly on unofficial contests, John. Best of luck with yours!

However, when I suggested that I judge the DB contest, and that everyone should send me their wine, the soothing sound of crickets filled the air. It was further suggested that to judge a conest, you had to win a contest, which I have not yet accomplished. It was the reward for winning. But you certainly don't have to do things my way. Branch out! Do your own thing!

I was going to do a red contest after the port was concluded, but you go ahead. Maybe it's time to let someone else run that show for a while.

What does the winner get in your contest? :b

I hold no monopoly on unofficial contests, John. Best of luck with yours!

However, when I suggested that I judge the DB contest, and that everyone should send me their wine, the soothing sound of crickets filled the air. It was further suggested that to judge a conest, you had to win a contest, which I have not yet accomplished. It was the reward for winning. But you certainly don't have to do things my way. Branch out! Do your own thing!

I was going to do a red contest after the port was concluded, but you go ahead. Maybe it's time to let someone else run that show for a while.

What does the winner get in your contest? :b

Dave,

I am so sorry. I honestly did not notice that you were running these competitions. This is a fault of mine. At times I can be very oblivious.
I just assumed that this was something that people took turns doing.

Like I said in my initial post..

I am not too sure how these are organized or if there is even a protocol to follow.

Would it be too forward of me to suggest the next competition??

My thinking is to have one based on the type of wine that I love best.
How about a "Big-n-Bold" red wine competition?

My thinking is that this could be open to any form of oaky deep and bold red wine.

I would also love to judge something like this...

Dave, Please believe me, the very last thing I wanted to do was step on your toes or suggest anything negative about you or the job you have been doing so far. I was simply thinking on how neat it would be to judge a competition based on the type of wine that I love.

Dave, I need your blessing on this before I can continue. Keeping you as a friend is infinitely more important to me than any competition. Just say the word and I gladly will shut this down and request that this thread be deleted.

For winners, my thinking is that I would hand out gold, bronze, and silver medals.

Also, both I and joeswine are in New Jersey. My thinking was that the entries could be shipped together to one address to save on shipping costs, and we could meet up to divide up the entries.

Last edited:
Don't sweat it, John. It's all about having fun, so have fun with it. I'd even be more than glad to join in. I'm quite proud of my reds. And I think you and Joe, with your experience as superior wine makers, would make excellent judges.

We are good, my friend. Consider me an entrant in your Big-n-Bold Red Wine Contest.

FYI: So far, even with lots of initial enthusiasm, I have had more like 5-10 people actually send in wine for one of these little contests. At this level of participation, catagories become useless.

Don't sweat it, John. It's all about having fun, so have fun with it. I'd even be more than glad to join in. I'm quite proud of my reds. And I think you and Joe, with your experience as superior wine makers, would make excellent judges.

We are good, my friend. Consider me an entrant in your Big-n-Bold Red Wine Contest.

FYI: So far, even with lots of initial enthusiasm, I have had more like 5-10 people actually send in wine for one of these little contests. At this level of participation, catagories become useless.

Dave, you are overly humble. Your wine knowledge is encyclopedic!
My intent is to host just this one competition, based on the style of wine that I have been making for over 25 years. Thanks for the blessing.

Honestly, I think that is a nice number of participants. Much more than that and you start to get tongue fatigue. For the Welch's contest, we had 8 and I thought that was about right. Of course, the judging was also a social ocassion in that case. If you were to sit down with great discipline and simply taste, score and move one you could probably power through quite a bit more. We tasted, put down our scores, then shared our thoughts on each one after everyone had their scores written down - you know, to prevent anyone's comments from influencing another's scores.

Latest posts

Back