Cabernet Franc or sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winechef

Reaction score
here's. the short background. I fermentated a batch of sauvignon too hot and it didn't have the fruit forward flavor I wanted. the season is over for sauvignon from the vineyard I normally buy from. they have a harvest of cab franc next month, which I've never had on its own only blended.

I have another source of Cabernet sauvignon grapes but I've never got them from. this region, so not sure the Soil or flavor profile but it is a cooler region and temperate. so should be great.

since this is for commercial products. my target audience does like a fruitier sweeter wine compared to heavy bold dry wines.

I usually make something that combines the mouth feel of sauvignon with the lighter fruit notes. basically i remove portion of skins at different times and press some after 3 days, some after 5 days and some after 7 days. ferment cool as ca usually around 22 degrees, and back sweeten. it's a pretty lively wine. wouldn't win any European competitions, people's. tastes here are different. they love sweeter fruitier wines but still like a high abv.

anyway to the question,

should i choose a cab franc which might be a desirable flavor for target base, but it's not a well known wine, or stick with sauvignon that people know?

I'd be mostly concerned with taste -- if it's got a familiar label but doesn't taste right for the target audience, that will kill repeat sales.

What is the law on labeling? In the USA a wine can be named by varietal if the wine contains at least 75% of the varietal, although all of the varietals must be listed on the label (except small percentages). There is some variation based upon specific varietals and some local laws, but that's the gist of it, as I understand it.

here's. the short background. I fermentated a batch of sauvignon too hot and it didn't have the fruit forward flavor I wanted. the season is over for sauvignon from the vineyard I normally buy from. they have a harvest of cab franc next month, which I've never had on its own only blended.

I have another source of Cabernet sauvignon grapes but I've never got them from. this region, so not sure the Soil or flavor profile but it is a cooler region and temperate. so should be great.

since this is for commercial products. my target audience does like a fruitier sweeter wine compared to heavy bold dry wines.

I usually make something that combines the mouth feel of sauvignon with the lighter fruit notes. basically i remove portion of skins at different times and press some after 3 days, some after 5 days and some after 7 days. ferment cool as ca usually around 22 degrees, and back sweeten. it's a pretty lively wine. wouldn't win any European competitions, people's. tastes here are different. they love sweeter fruitier wines but still like a high abv.

anyway to the question,

should i choose a cab franc which might be a desirable flavor for target base, but it's not a well known wine, or stick with sauvignon that people know?
i'm a huge cab franc fan - i get some of my grapes from niagara on the lake in Ontario - always cab franc - - never disappointed with the quality of grapes - nice cool climate that cab franc likes - Ontario cab franc is truly a great wine - if and i say if made up to par - like any other wine if made good
as for the tastes are different here?? - i don't know about that??? - when it comes to wine - everyone has a different pallet
if u make a good wine IMO people will like it no matter what the varietal is -or where ever it comes from??
example - the Okanagan valley in British Columbia - they make great wines - Syrah,Merlot, Riesling, Chard, Pinot Gris
i make wine for personal consumption - not commercial - i make cab franc on its own - and i also blend it with a portion of merlot -
so the questions is - as commercial winery u are? - i'm sure u done ur research?
i'm sure others will jump in on this and elaborate
cab franc does take second a seat to cab S - but if made properly - i'll take Cab franc
its all about taste!!!!!
as a commercial winery - your label will also make a difference in your sales - if - and only if you wine is good
marketing - big part - but the taste - gotta be there!

Yeah,
i'm a huge cab franc fan - i get some of my grapes from niagara on the lake in Ontario - always cab franc - - never disappointed with the quality of grapes - nice cool climate that cab franc likes - Ontario cab franc is truly a great wine - if and i say if made up to par - like any other wine if made good
as for the tastes are different here?? - i don't know about that??? - when it comes to wine - everyone has a different pallet
if u make a good wine IMO people will like it no matter what the varietal is -or where ever it comes from??
example - the Okanagan valley in British Columbia - they make great wines - Syrah,Merlot, Riesling, Chard, Pinot Gris
i make wine for personal consumption - not commercial - i make cab franc on its own - and i also blend it with a portion of merlot -
so the questions is - as commercial winery u are? - i'm sure u done ur research?
i'm sure others will jump in on this and elaborate
cab franc does take second a seat to cab S - but if made properly - i'll take Cab franc
its all about taste!!!!!
as a commercial winery - your label will also make a difference in your sales - if - and only if you wine is good
marketing - big part - but the taste - gotta be there!
I have my go to recipe and have made it many years from same vineyard. however this year the grapes were early and my ac broke and the cab sav 1k+ liters wasn't exactly the profile I was going for. so I'll make it into brandy, so not a total loss.
but my supplier for cab sav grapes is done, they have a cab franc, which I've never used but it's very popular and more expensive.

I found another supplier for cab sav but their flavor is darker, more bold, stronger tannins,

I thought about a 60 40 cab sav cab franc, blend,

just trying to salvage the season. franc is just not a grape I know well. smells good, but more crimson color and lighter than sav

Latest posts

Back