The best thickness for a steak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How could you......

crying_cow.jpg

i have been waiting something from you :b
probably for the same type reasons you have your smoker and grill

Al M, I sometimes like them that way also. Its usually because I opvercooked them on my crappy grill though!!!! LOL. Im not picky when it comes to steak at all and Rocky and Rich, those sound good and Ive cooked them similiarly also, usually when my deck had 2' of snow on it and I just didnt have the oomph left in me to shovel all the way to the grill!

It probably took him all this time to find that pic to cut and paste! Hehehehe

I raised rabbits as a teenager. I knew after that I could never raise anything bigger. They just became a pet like the dog to me, part of the family......

i have been waiting something from you :b
probably for the same type reasons you have your smoker and grill

Old farmer lady told me how not to have feelings for a cow. Buy and raise a dairy cow, sell it at market and buy a slaughter cow and take it right a way to the butcher. That way there is no attachment and you know your cow is in good hands ( no pun intended)

Soaring Beef Prices Force Shoppers To Find Other Foods
January 30, 2012 6:30 PM

By Oren Liebermann

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- At Cappuccio’s Meats in the Italian Market, the cuts of beef are cutting into the profits.

“Every week when I talk to my suppliers, I’m amazed by how much it’s going up,” said owner Domenick Crimi.

Beef prices soared more than 10 percent last year according to the Department of Agriculture, and they will likely go up at least another 5 percent this year.

“It bumps up a bit, comes down a tiny bit, then it bounces again, and when it bounces, it goes up another dime, 15, 20 cents,” said Crimi, “and sometimes that’s in a week.”

A drought across Texas and Oklahoma has made food and water scarce for cattle, which has kept herds small. The Department of Agriculture says there are 91 million cattle nationally, the smallest herd since 1952. Add to that the rising cost of feed and rising beef exports, and the price of beef in the states is surging.

“Your customers get tired of hearing every week that it’s going up,” said Andrew Hurford, manager of Kissin Fresh Meats. “Sooner or later, they’re going to reach a tolerance ceiling and they’re going to say maybe it’s not worth it anymore.”

The meat locker at Kissin used to be filled with fresh beef hanging from rails. But now it is only half full, since they have replaced beef with pre-packaged goods like eggs and cole slaw, leaving them something else to sell when customers stop purchasing as much beef.

“We do a lot of fish now and chicken,” said Johanna Butler, visiting the Italian Market from Swedesboro, NJ. “I mean, beef indeed is very expensive, so I’ve made some changes.”

For many shoppers tired of high beef prices, the question is no longer where’s the beef, but how much is it going to cost?

this is a price list from a grass fedding producer in new england that i found online...it is similar to grass fed prices here in this state

STEAKS

Loin Strip$17.00
T-Bone$16.00
Porterhouse$17.00
Rib Eye$18.00
London Broil$9.00
Sirloin$14.00Price Per Pound
Tenderloin$20.00
Flank$12.00
Skirt$12.00
Flat Iron$10.00
Delmonico$18.00

ROASTS

Top Round$9.00
Bottom Round$7.00
Eye Round$8.00
Chuck$7.00
Rib (boneless)$17.00
Ground Beef$6.50
Ground Beef Patties$7.00
Soup/Shank Bones$4.00Price Per Pound
Stew Meat$7.00
Sliced Liver$7.00
Short Ribs$8.00
Brisket$9.00
Heart$11.00 Each
Tongue$11.00 Each
1/4 Side (115 lbs.)$1035.00
1/2 Side (230 lbs.)$2070.00

Milbrosa do you see a drastic difference in dry aging flavor?

I have found that dry aging makes a profound difference with choice or better grade beef. The three most obvious improvements are the intensification of beef flavor, an increase in tenderness, and the reduction of blood on the plate when you cut into the steak.

I like my steaks medium rare most often, but if it is a particularly tender and well-marbled piece of meat, I like it rare. When cutting into an unaged or minimally wet-aged steak grilled medium rare or rare, even one of high quality, I'll end up with a pool of bloody juices on my plate. With a dry aged steak, I can have rare or medium rare meat that is very tender, and no pool of blood.

I use the dry-bag steak bags. They really work. You need to dry age a whole subprimal, like a 10 to 20 pound strip loin, or ribeye, or sirloin. It doesn't work for cut steaks because you'd lose too much meat to the drying process. You have to trim all the dried exterior of the beef off.

So there's a cost to all this goodness. You are going to lose 15 to 25 percent of your meat weight.

I've attached an example. I lost nearly 25% of the weight of the original subprimal. This is one of my best dry age results yet, and if you look at my calculated cost per pound for the dry-aged end product, you'll see that it is very reasonable.

dryagelog.jpg

thanks, i think i will have to look into doing this w some of my meats!

In my opinion you can't beat a 2 inch thick cut porterhouse. Bloody on the inside and charred on the outside. Do yourself a favor and try some "Spike" seasoning on it. My family puts it on almost everything.

Hi Joe...i did set the porterhouse and sirloins at 2 inch cuts...just returned from the meat guy....gotta admit did not feel good about that *instant* where they go from being w you day and and day out to laying on the floor....but short of being a vegetarian there is no other way

theme to Rawhide....

Rollin', rollin', rollin'.
Rawhide!
Hah! Hah!

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin',
Though the streams are swollen,
Keep them dogies rollin', rawhide.
Through rain and wind and weather,
Hell bent for leather,
Wishin' my gal was by my side.
All the things I'm missin',
Good vittles, love, and kissin',
Are waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em out, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em on.
Move 'em out, head 'em up:
Rawhide.
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in,
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in:
Rawhide!
Hah! Hah!

Movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them dogies movin', rawhide.
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope an' throw an' brand 'em.
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
My heart's calculatin',
My true love will be waitin':
Waitin' at the end of my ride.

Move 'em out, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em on.
Move 'em out, head 'em up:
Rawhide.
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in,
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in:
Rawhide!

(Rollin', rollin', rollin'.)
Hah!
Hah!
Rawhide.
Hah!
Rawhide!

Rocky thanks for you ideas on a thin cut...you said hi heat....how high can you get in a frying pan?

Al, I fry in olive oil and have a gas range so I get the temperature of the oil up to "just below smoking." I listen for the "sizzle" to tell me if I hit the right temp.

Rocky thanks for you ideas on a thin cut...you said hi heat....how high can you get in a frying pan?

Al, I fry in olive oil and have a gas range so I get the temperature of the oil up to "just below smoking." I listen for the "sizzle" to tell me if I hit the right temp.

I see a few of you like this olive oil but I cant stand the low degrees in which it burns off. I tend to get that burnt oil taste and olive loves to catch a flame.

Theoretically you can get as high in a pan as you can stand... it's really no different from cooking on a "fly" grill... aka McDs grill. Personally at home I cook with country crock butter and if I'm cooking at high temps I add just a hint of veggie oil as not to burn the butter.

Did anyone say dinner?

:a1 I THINK ROCKY LIKES HIS STEAKS THIN ,AND OTHERS LIKE THEM THICK,AND STILL OTHERS THICKER ,NO MATTER HOW YOU CUT THEM(PUN)WHEN A STEAK IS TENDER AND JUICY WITH JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF SEASONINGS OF YOUR PREFERENCE,ITS ALL GOOD,AS FOR ME I LIKE MY IN STRIPE OR T-BONE FASHION MED-RARE.WITH A LITTLE SALT ,PEPPER AND GARLIC POWDER. ,OR SOMETIMES WITH A LITTLE SOUTHWEST RUB ,HIGH HEAT FOR ABOUT 2.5 MINS. ON EACH SIDE AND A GLASS OF AMARONE.....YES.............STEAK THE OTHER RED MEAT.:w:db

We have Smith's which is owned by Kroger. I bought a half a Beef Tenderloin for Easter. It was in the "family pack" which means it was on sale. I paid 10.99lb. The last one I bought was back at Christmas and I paid $8.99lb in the family pack. Prices are definitely on the rise it seems....

Back