Temperature question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank19

Junior
Reaction score
I'm planning on making my first batch of wine sometime in the next few weeks and I'm trying to decide where in the house is best to put the equipment. With that in mind I'm wondering what is the best room temperature for the fermentation process. I have the option of putting my equipment in my storage space that's around 55 degrees or I put it in a warmer room closer to a heat source (roughly 65-70 degrees). Any advice on which would be best?

Ideally 75* is best to get fermentation going - once it is started you could do a cold fermentation where the temps are around 65*

ferment it in the warmest part of your home. Keep it there till you are ready to age

The ideal temperature for your juice is between 70 and 75 degrees
once the fermentation star it would generate heat by itself
hope this help
good luck

Most kit wines like a fermentation temperature of above 70F. Some whites like a lower temperature, but controlling low temp fermentation is more of a challenge at home.

To degas a kit wine properly, you can hardly accomplish it, if the temperature is below about 72F. 75F is better.

So, ferment above 70F and do your bulk aging or bottle aging at the lower temperatures - mid 50's F, low light are great for storage. Some studies say you need low vibration for storage, but I have read in other places there is no scientific proof of that. So if you believe vibration is bad, don't store bottled wine under a stairway. Me? I wouldn't worry about vibration.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Go for the warmer room. Try and get it to that 70 degree mark. Once it gets going, it will produce its own heat. In the mean time, you should get your hands on a brew belt. When it becomes time to degas, you will want the temp up around 75 degrees, it will make degassing go easier and faster.

Really depends on what yeast you are using and what you are fermenting.
The warmer room would be my choice, as long as the temps don't stray too far out of the range you listed.

The cooler temperature will slow fermentation down, which might be good for fruit wines. From what i understand slower fermentation preserves the fruity esters.

I ferment in the mid 60's. I believe the lower/slower ferment helps with the flavor profile. Some yeasts do better than others with temperature extremes. Fermenting in the 50's is asking for trouble or would at least take some real special attention and would likely take a very long time.

Red wines and kits do best in temps around mid 70's. White and fruit wines do better with cooler fermentations but I will advise you to start it warmer to get the yeast going good and then when the sg gets to around 1.020 get the temp back up so that it finishes fermenting as cooler temps then and you could end up with a stuck fermentation.

Back