Temperature question from a total newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milant

Junior
Reaction score
I was about to go for my first batch (WineExpert Merlot) when I realized that my best dark place is in the closet without sufficient air circulation to keep the air temp to 72F that is the rest of my place. The thermometer measures the temp as high as 79-80 with the doors shut. Now, so far I'm reading that you want to keep the temp within the kit suggested ranges (72-75 in this case), but I want to know how much am I endangering quality by fermenting in this temperature.

Corollary questions:
- Is it better to ferment in cooler place that has more sunlight?
- Is there a simple way to cool the fermenters?

Thanks!!!!
-m
PS. in about two months that closet is will perfect temp, but I don't want to wait that long :)

I'm a newbie too, so I can't answer the long term effects of heat, but I ended up putting a damp towel and fan on a fermenting bucket that got too hot during primary to cool it down a bit. Since the fermentation puts off its own heat, I'd think that being in an 80* area is probably going to be too much. Could you cover your wine with a towel or clothing in a cooler area until it's more temperate in the closet? I'm fermenting my wines in the dining room with towel covers until they finish, at which time I'll move them to the closet for aging.

UP TO YOU I don't know all that much but you could buy a small cheap window AC unit, stick it in the wall or door run a drain line from the bottom of AC UNIT to a small hole to dump the condensed water, just a thought, I use a spare bedroom with window blacked out, but since i'm single I can do with out facing a mad women,, lol
Dawg::

you'll need cooler for bulk aging and long term storage.
Dawg::

I'm a newbie too, so I can't answer the long term effects of heat, but I ended up putting a damp towel and fan on a fermenting bucket that got too hot during primary to cool it down a bit. Since the fermentation puts off its own heat, I'd think that being in an 80* area is probably going to be too much. Could you cover your wine with a towel or clothing in a cooler area until it's more temperate in the closet? I'm fermenting my wines in the dining room with towel covers until they finish, at which time I'll move them to the closet for aging.

I was about to go for my first batch (WineExpert Merlot) when I realized that my best dark place is in the closet without sufficient air circulation to keep the air temp to 72F that is the rest of my place. The thermometer measures the temp as high as 79-80 with the doors shut. Now, so far I'm reading that you want to keep the temp within the kit suggested ranges (72-75 in this case), but I want to know how much am I endangering quality by fermenting in this temperature.

Corollary questions:
- Is it better to ferment in cooler place that has more sunlight?
- Is there a simple way to cool the fermenters?

Thanks!!!!
-m
PS. in about two months that closet is will perfect temp, but I don't want to wait that long :)

Since this is a red, the 72 room will do just fine, no need for a dark closet, your fermenter will block light from your wine. Once you move the wine to a glass carboy, just pull a black t shirt over the carboy to block light.

You don't need to worry about cooling if you're in a 72 room, your must may climb into the high 70's, low 80's for a day or two when fermentation is heaviest, that's ok.

Welcome to the forum!

You can check the manufacturer of the yeast's website to find out the temperature range it will tolerate. Then you'll know for sure if your ambient temperature is within that range. I ferment my wine in my kitchen, and it's within the range, but gets afternoon sun and I've had no problems.

Thank you for the useful responses everybody! ... and the warm welcomes!!
From what I'm gathering temp is more important than the absence of light, or shall I say, there are better ways to stop the light.
I'll give it a whirl and see what happens - fingers crossed.

We live in an area with really hot summers. We are hoping the ambient temps stay below 90 degrees and fight with ice bombs (milk jugs with frozen water) and dry ice to keep the fresh grape must temps in the 80's, which fit the yeast profile (50-86 degrees).

A long way of saying, welcome, you're fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back