Taste the wine before bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbnmiky

Reaction score
Another silly question; Im nearly ready to bottle my first wine....mmmmm.....in the instructions kit they said that i can drink it...or leave in the bottles for a while. Im going to use the hydrometer anyway when secondary fermentation stops.

Mmm....so my question is.....do you "taste" your wine before bottling? And if yes....what if it tastes funny? Would you keep the wine anyway...or discard it?

Miky

I taste it every step of the way. I think its fun. Yes it will taste funny, I had one a Chianti, that didn't start to taste good for five months ( I use the term "good" loosely). Others I have tasted show promise right after fermentation. Taste away but don't make final decisions for a couple years depending on the type, aging wine changes dramatically .

Kevin

Miky, it is a very good idea to taste the wine before you bottle it. If it tastes "funny" you may or may not want to bottle it depending on what is causing the funny taste. If is just young, that is one thing that will improve with age. If it is not fully settled and cleared, you may get a "funny" taste from the suspended material. Once that is in the bottle, it stays in the bottle. Hydrongen sulfide (the "rotten egg" smell) is something that should be dissapated before bottling. It all depends on the source of the funny taste.

tasting often... but not too often

I agree with the above. You should taste often. This helps you in spotting potential problems early.

I guess if you taste often that is fine, but if you taste too often you are likely to be too befuddled to spot problems of any kind...:d

I taste my wine at every racking and prior to bottling. I may choose to bulk age longer or back sweeten a tad. I am also new to this only made 30 gallons, of 6 different types. 3 grape 3 fruit.

I agree with the above. You should taste often. This helps you in spotting potential problems early.

Thanks for this.....well...In my beginner kit book there is no mention about tasting.......also Ive seen many online wine instructions...and again absolutely NO mention about wine testing.

As I said im a total beginner...LOL....I think that making wine is a little bit like cooking or baking....you DO taste during the process....instead of just checking for SG, PH, Sugar and other stuff.

Latest posts

Back