To bottle or not to bottle, when is the right time?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 02. I add kmeta immediately after degassing. Should I be adding it just before degassing for the protection you are referencing?
Oxidation is not a fast reaction. Look at how steel rusts -- it takes time. IME it doesn't matter if you add the K-meta before or after degassing.

About 02. I add kmeta immediately after degassing. Should I be adding it just before degassing for the protection you are referencing?
My pattern is to add meta then do a degas treatment. The intent is to accomplish some mixing through the mass. The next place to add is in racking such that mixing can happen.
Normally I do not degas till the week where I Am scheduling bottling. CO2 is non reactive and I try to keep some there for flushing the head space.

My pattern is to add meta then do a degas treatment. The intent is to accomplish some mixing through the mass. The next place to add is in racking such that mixing can happen.
Normally I do not degas till the week where I Am scheduling bottling. CO2 is non reactive and I try to keep some there for flushing the head space.
I usually degas after primary because the wine is warm and the degassing process works better than with cold wine. My basement is around 58-60F.

It occurred to me that when using kieselsol and chitosan, just stirring them in is sufficient to jumpstart the degassing process.

Latest posts

Back