tart cherry wine too tart

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
Just tried my tart cherry wine that's been aging about 6 months now in a carboy. I was made from some tart cherry juice that I found in a health food store. Smell is great, it's dry and needs to be backsweetened, and the cherry taste is about right but the tartness that hits after you swallow puckers your mouth! The backsweetening might help this, but I was also thinking maybe an f-pack made from sweet cherry juice. Any other thoughts?

Tony

Draw a glass of it and slowly add some sugar while you are tasting. Bet it will take the tart out of it. I have found on the pie cherry, age helps a bunch too. About a year and a half is when mine seemed to come out of the tart stage. Arne.

I would go with the juice but you are so far into it. It will need to clear for a while.

As Arne says try a glass sweeten. Also, what is your ph and acid levels?

I'd say try both ways. Sweetening will certainly cut down the tart, but if you like the flavor you may not want to mess with adding more juice that might change the flavor (and have more acid of its own).

Latest posts

Back