Sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musky412

Junior
Reaction score
A week ago I added potassium sorbate and sweetened with simple syrup. I have now decided to sweeten a little more. Can I just add another batch of simple syrup or do I need to add more potassium sorbate?

Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my XT901 using Wine Making mobile app

you don't need to add anymore sorbate, go ahead and add more simple syrup. When you have the wine to the sweet level that you are happy with, you should take a hydrometer reading, this way you can repeat the process on your next batch.

Thank you Julie. I added the original syrup a week ago. Should I wait another week after the second round of sweetening before bottling or could I bottle right away?

Sent from my XT901 using Wine Making mobile app

Hi Musky, Others on this forum may have a different view but I would want to wait a few weeks after stabilizing and back sweetening. Unless you know for certain that the colony of yeast in the wine that you stabilized was down to a few stragglers then adding sorbate and K-meta may not completely end the fermentation which potentially could slowly restart with the addition of more fermentable sugar. If there are no signs of activity after a month then I would bottle.

Latest posts

Back