Sulfiting and pectic enzyme???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
So far i have a system but i believe i may be stretching the process out to too long of a time

I usually sanitize the juice then wait 24 hours before adding pectic enzyme. after that i wait 24 hours before pitching my starter battle. I have read thatthe sanitizing and pectic enzymesteps are sometimes done at the same time.

Would doing both at the same time work well????

appleman said:
Wade will tell you not to add both at the same time, but I have never had a problem with it in fresh fruit.

I've never had a problem with adding them both at the same time either.
VC

I also have had no problem doing both at the same time

Ive never had a problem but have been told and read not to do both at the same time, Its not that it would not work though its just been said to negate some of the effects of the pectic enzyme, Ive also heard that too hot of a temp will do the same thing with pectic enzyme. I wait 12 hours after sulfiting before adding pectic enzyme and then another 12 hours before adding yeast.

Im with wade on this one. In my early wine making days allI read advocated waiting a minimum of 12 hrsafter adding sulfites before adding the pecic enzyme. I typically wait 18 hrs or more. It my not make any difference but why take a chance on preventing the pectic enzyme from functioning wholly as intended.

Waldo said:
Im with wade on this one. In my early wine making days allI read advocated waiting a minimum of 12 hrsafter adding sulfites before adding the pecic enzyme. I typically wait 18 hrs or more. It my not make any difference but why take a chance on preventing the pectic enzyme from functioning wholly as intended.

I have reverted back to waiting 24 hours as i always have Waldo Do you or wade think that after waiting 24 hours for sulfites to disperse and then another 24 hours before pitching that the juice is in any danger..
The 24 hours makes it convenient especially if i start the whole processon an evening.

When i am waiting for the 24 hour period of the pectic enzyme to end, i start a starter bottle on that morning which allows me to feed the bottle a few times and get a large colony going before pitching in that evening..

Its a hobby and i try to make it fun but what about the 24 hour period and safety of the juice????

I guess it depends on what temp the must is But Id be wanting to get it going a little sooner if its pretty warm.

wade said:
I guess it depends on what temp the must is But Id be wanting to get it going a little sooner if its pretty warm.

the houde is always about 78 degrees

IMO, that is a tad warm but dont really know tolerances of when something will go bad , especially when sulfite is added to counteract the bacteria. I think 24 as long s you give it a stir is fine and have never had a problem, then I dont know if youve ever had a problem you way either.

wade said:
IMO, that is a tad warm but dont really know tolerances of when something will go bad , especially when sulfite is added to counteract the bacteria. I think 24 as long s you give it a stir is fine and have never had a problem, then I dont know if youve ever had a problem you way either.

I have been doing it this way since i started making wine a few years back.
Maybe i have just been lucky. The 2 times i had a problem was withh a peach wine made with vintners harvest but it was a stuc or stopped fermenting thing.

As i said its a schedule of convenience so i supose as long as i do not have trouble i will just stick with the 24 hour timimg. I intend to sit down and see if i can come up with a schedule that is less than the 24 hour one and will still allow me to do a starter bottle. I could always stop doind starter bottles but its a hobby as i said.

thanks for all the input gang--i needed some thoughts on this

Latest posts

Back