sulfites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry51

Junior
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the difference and the reason for both the potassium and the sodium metabisulfites? I have bought nothing but kits from George, all MM and have potassium for the third step racking. But George sent me sodium meta. in my original equipment kit. Does it really matter which one you use and the final outcome of the finished wine, as long as I add a 1/4 tsp. every month while it is bulk aging? I keep the sodium in my spray bottle for santizing everything and a gallon jug for sanitizing equipment prior to use. Am I understaning the instructions correctly?

Thanks everyone -- I love all the posts. But I get so very confused when you break it down to k-meta and camden (?)
smiley5.gif
tablets (which I have never seen or used).

Sodium Metabisulfite is a bit more active than k-meta. It works great as a sanitizer and can be used in the wine. People sensitive to sodium and with high blood pressure can use k-meta instead. They are related ions and have the same effect.

Campden tablets are merely tablet form of either na-meta or k-meta.

terry51,

I'm concerned that you mentioned adding 1/4 tsp every month during bulk aging. I'm pretty sure the recommended addition is 1/4 tsp every 3 months. You may also want to check your S02 levels with a test kit.

Ken

There's no difference to the "potency" of Na-Meta and K-Meta. Perhaps the
perceived difference is because K-Meta is about 56% SO2 by weight,
while Na-Meta is about 67% SO2 by weight (because Na is lighter than K).

So, you need less Na-Meta than K-Meta per quantity of SO2 (maybe that is what you meant by potency?), but the SO2 added is equally potent

Both will completely disassociate when dissolved in wine, people just tend to prefer K-Meta to avoid adding Na to wine.

Every 3-4 months, not every month! I truly hope you havent been bulk aging any wines yet!

Back