Camden tablets and acid blends

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie Mel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I embark on this journey into making wine, I am reading Jack Keller’s book “Home Winemaking” . He recommends not using Camden tablets but instead to use the powder form, specifically potassium metabisulfite rather than sodium. I had purchased a bundle that included bucket, additives, carboy, etc and it came with Camden tablets. Because I’m just starting out I decided to use them. I just looked at label and they are sodium rather than potassium. Is that a bad mistake on my part? Also, the book suggests not using acid blends, but rather use specific acids according to the recipe. Again, my bundle came with an acid blend, so I used that to adjust the ph. I am very interested in hearing comments about Camden tablets vs powered form and potassium vs sodium. Also interested in comments on acid blends.
Thanks!!

I wouldn't use the sodium campden tablets. I have read that they can impart a salty flavor to the wine.

I use potassium campden tablets when I am making batches smaller than 3 gallons, because it's more convenient than trying to measure 1/3 of 1/8 tsp of potassium metabisulphite (the powder form). I just crush and use one campden tablet per gallon.

Welcome to WMT!

Campden was sodium only for decades -- it's what we used as it's what we had. Currently Campden is available in potassium.

Potassium is better for several reasons, but IMO, use the ones you have for small batches. Campden is a PITA as you have to grind it to powder, and grind 1 tablet per gallon. OTOH, the dosage for potassium metabisulfite (K-meta) in powder form is 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons.

Similarly, acid blend works fine. I used it for decades, although now I use primarily tartaric. I have a bag of blend that I use when making K-meta water (2 to 3 Tbsp K-meta, 1 Tbsp acid in 1 gallon water).

Keep in mind that if you ask a question of 10 winemakers, you'll get at least 11 answers. Pay attention to why people do what they do, and you'll have an easier time making your own decisions.

welcome to wine making talk
Sodium shows up in a lot of foods where it doesn’t need to be, example baby food, I would have a long term plan to switch to potassium since it MIGHT skew the flavor. But as with baby food, if you don’t know to look for it you probably wouldn’t notice.
Acids, I use acid blend since it is readily available and works. I also have access to supplier samples of other food grade acids which most don’t have access to. Use what is convenient! The key is to use something to put the pH below 3.7 for reds and below 3.5 for whites and country wine. pH is a preservative that makes the system work.
As I embark on this journey into making wine, I am reading Jack Keller’s book “Home Winemaking” . He recommends not using Camden tablets but instead to use the powder form, specifically potassium metabisulfite rather than sodium. I had purchased a bundle that included bucket, additives, carboy, etc and it came with Camden tablets. Because I’m just starting out I decided to use them. I just looked at label and they are sodium rather than potassium. Is that a bad mistake on my part? Also, the book suggests not using acid blends, but rather use specific acids according to the recipe. Again, my bundle came with an acid blend, so I used that to adjust the ph. I am very interested in hearing comments about Camden tablets vs powered form and potassium vs sodium. Also interested in comments on acid blends.
step back a bit, fermentations were one of the ways to preserve food 2000 years ago, they work! and your biggest risk is that an off flavor develops, BUT the off flavor won’t kill you

Campden was sodium only for decades -- it's what we used as it's what we had. Currently Campden is available in potassium.

Potassium is better for several reasons, but IMO, use the ones you have for small batches. Campden is a PITA as you have to grind it to powder, and grind 1 tablet per gallon. OTOH, the dosage for potassium metabisulfite (K-meta) in powder form is 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons.

Similarly, acid blend works fine. I used it for decades, although now I use primarily tartaric. I have a bag of blend that I use when making K-meta water (2 to 3 Tbsp K-meta, 1 Tbsp acid in 1 gallon water).

Keep in mind that if you ask a question of 10 winemakers, you'll get at least 11 answers. Pay attention to why people do what they do, and you'll have an easier time making your own decisions.
Curious, What do you use K-meta water for?

Alright, here's #11 out of 10. I switched to the powdered K2S2O5 (K-Meta or Potassium Metabisulfite) years ago and to simplify measuring I put ¼ tsp into a cough syrup bottle and fill to 5 ounces. Then for each gallon just add 1 ounce. Wallah! Problem solved.
I loved this idea, only I made a mistake. I used a jar with a metal lid and the Kmeta ate a hole in the lid. Guess you have to use plastic? I have also found Kmeta is irritating to my skin so it must be pretty potent stuff? So part 2, I made my first batch of skeeter pee, was about to add my Kmeta water when I found it with the hole and rusted pieces in my jar, so I read the recipe and it said to add 1/2 teaspoon for the 5 gallon batch, which I did. But isn’t that too much? Shouldn’t it be 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons? What is the affect of too much Kmeta? After seeing it eat through metal and irritate my skin I’m concerned. I now wipe down my countertop if any Kmeta is splashed and make sure I rinse my hands well after being in contact, but I’m afraid I messed up my skeeter pee by adding too much Kmeta.

For sterilizing?

Edit... Then I came to the next post. :slp

Sanitizing. All equipment gets rinsed in K-meta. Shake off the excess, do not rinse with plain water.

Last edited:
Does K-meta lose its potency in solution quickly?

I am currently using the pink TSP and chlorine powder mix to sanitize. I make a batch about once a week. It turns from pink to brown when it comes in contact with bacteria. Within a week the pink hue is gone and there is settlement in the bottom of my container, so I make a fresh batch to be on the safe side even though it still has a chlorine smell.

Just wondering if K-meta would be a longer lasting mixture.

Last edited:
so I read the recipe and it said to add 1/2 teaspoon for the 5 gallon batch, which I did. But isn’t that too much? Shouldn’t it be 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons? What is the affect of too much Kmeta?
You're fine. I can't recall the max recommended amount of SO2, but it's a lot higher than that. In the future, use 1/4 tsp per 5 US gallons.

Does K-meta lose its potency in solution quickly?
Some sources say yes, but after 6 months a gallon jug of K-meta will still rip your lungs out. I have kept a jar for a year, but generally replace it when it has "stuff" floating in it from reuse, or when I get down to half a gallon, about every 6 months.

I run a fan whenever the jug is uncapped, and use a plastic cap on the jug. My LHBS sells caps that fit the Carlo Rossi 4 liter jugs.

You're fine. I can't recall the max recommended amount of SO2, but it's a lot higher than that. In the future, use 1/4 tsp per 5 US gallons.

Some sources say yes, but after 6 months a gallon jug of K-meta will still rip your lungs out. I have kept a jar for a year, but generally replace it when it has "stuff" floating in it from reuse, or when I get down to half a gallon, about every 6 months.

I run a fan whenever the jug is uncapped, and use a plastic cap on the jug. My LHBS sells caps that fit the Carlo Rossi 4 liter jugs.
I add citric acid when mixing K-meta. Keep reusing it until the odor has noticeably diminished or there is extra stuff floating in it. Last generally 6 months to a year.

Last edited:
I loved this idea, only I made a mistake. I used a jar with a metal lid and the Kmeta ate a hole in the lid. Guess you have to use plastic? I have also found Kmeta is irritating to my skin so it must be pretty potent stuff?
I lost a couple of trigger squirt bottles because I forgot to empty them when done. I've switched to lab style squirt bottles. I get the 500 ml ones.

Back