stuck Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Julie, I will try it with a heating pad. I didn't mention it, but I did make a starter that didn't do anything. I have been trying to get this going everyday. I'll let you know how I make out.
John

Thank you Julie, I will try it with a heating pad. I didn't mention it, but I did make a starter that didn't do anything. I have been trying to get this going everyday. I'll let you know how I make out.
John

Please do,

Take the heating pad and wrap it around the side, before I got a brew belt, I would use a heating pad, I would wrap the cord around the pad to keep it on the side of the bucket.

I always add my yeast when the temp of the must is around 78*. Iy gets it going really fast every time and thats imporatant. If its a white or fruit win e Ill let it cool down once fermentatio has started so as not to burn off too much flavor and or aroma and then right near the end warm it back up to help the yeast finish properly.

Hi Julie and Wade.
I wrapped the wine that sits in front of an electric heater. it has been at a constant 80 degrees since my last post. I checked the sg today and it is still the same!!!!! NO CHANGE!!!! I added both yeast nutrient and yeast starter. Is it time to throw it out? Can I fortify it?
We enjoyed my first wine I made today, elderberry muscat, and have 4 other wines and 6 beers going with very little problems, Don't know how I went wrong with this one! Thank You for all the input and on the next one I will pay more attention to temperatures but again, can I add brandy and fortify it and get something out of this?
John

Well, I doubt you will ever hear me say throw it out, especially this one. Have you stir it during this time? If you have are you getting any fiz sound? HOw do you know it is 80 degrees, do you have a thermometer in your must? I would think the temp of the must is up since you have a heating pad wrapped around it, do you keep the heating pad on at all times?

Last edited:
Yeah, you could fortify it with brandy and just call it a port. Thew only thing that makes any sense with this is that somehow potassium sorbate and or potassium sulfite (lots it would take at this point) got added to this. I just dont see what else could be the problem to prevent this from fermenting like this. Its going to take a lot of brandy or even Everkleer though to get any safe abv out of this. Remember, without truly knowing what the problem here really is it wouldnt be safe to bottle this batch with an abv under 18% or it could start fermenting in the bottle later especially if this is somehow a sulfite problem right now.

Julie,
I stirred it twice a day but before I wrapped it. I have a lid on it with a water lock and I pull it out once a day and check it with a thermometer through the hole.
The temp. is the must. it is on low all the time. There has not been any fiz sound when I did stir. Thanks for not giving up on this, I really appreciate it because I really want to conquer this! P.S. It might be wishful thinking but when I pull the lid it had a bit of a wine smell instead of just juice.
John

Wade, It could be the meta,because remember I used Crosby and baker and followed the bottle. If i keep stirring, can i save it?
John

Latest posts

Back