Strawberry wine turned on.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelu Liber

Reaction score
I made 2, one gallon batches of strawberry wine last summer from my own strawberries. I have been storing them in one gallon jugs with airlocks attached while they clear. They have been inactive and in these jugs for about 5 months. I moved the jugs today and there is a small amount of sediment in the bottom and they are as clear as a bell. I moved them so I can move them into normal bottles and cork them in a day or so.

One of the gallon jugs has started bubbling again. Very slowly. Is this something I should be concerned with?

I plan on using potasium sorbate when I bottle to stabilize.

If you moved them before it started bubbling then it is likey to just be trapped CO2 gas. I would rack them to clean jugs, degas the best you can and stabilize with the sorbate and maybe a bit of K-Meta just to be safe it isn't a secondary ferment. Wait a while and then bottle as planned.

Thanks for the info. I will do just that.
What kind of pictures do you want? In the jugs or in the bottles?

i feel a strawberry wine coming on in my near future.with the work involved i'd like the finishedwineto be nice.does anyone have a recipe they are proud of?

20080110_093105_January_4_2008_.jpg

Here is a picture of the strawberry. As it turned out, one of the gallons seems a little cloudy (on left). Should be ok. I sampled both and one was a little sweeter than the other. I will age these for another year before drinking. I started them back in June.

Did you stabilize them before bottling? Hope if you didn't do that that the bubbles weren't from a secondary ferment. That would make it full of bubbles and possibly blow a cork and make a mess. Don't ask me how I know
smiley36.gif
If you notice tiny bubbles forming, move to a nice cool spot or refrigerate. That will stop the fermentation and keep them from blowing their tops! The cloudy ones may be the one forming the bubbles which prevent it from clearing good. If given time it will clear and leave a dusting on the side of the bottle where it is laying down.

<DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto" ="msg">
Yum-oSmall.jpg

Andy123.....Here is the Strawberry Wine that we like....It is a dry red wine with lots of Strawberry Flavor....

Here is the Post....

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3744&amp;PN=1

Here is the recipe....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~STRAWBERRY/RED GRAPE WINE~~~~~~~~~~~~

20 1/2# FROZEN STRAWBERRIES.....[steam extracted 2 1/2+ gallons juice]
2 500mil WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE
6 1/2 CAMPDEN TABLETS
7 tsp ACID BLEND
4 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
8# SUGAR
2 oz TOASTED OAK CHIPS
2 VANILLA BEANS

Water to 6 1/2 gallons...S.G. 1.084

NEXT DAY:
3 tsp PECTIC ENZYME
6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
2 pk RED STAR MONTRACHET YEAST

And just to "kick it up a notch" I added 10 toasted black peppercorns ...."BAMMM!!!!"...We'll see if that adds some spiciness.

The last batch with this same recipe was the best Strawberry Wine yet...The Peppercorns are a new one to this batch.

I might also add some oak to the secondary carboy just till the following racking.

I am going to start another batch within the next month or so, I am going to use 2 cans of Sun Country Burgundy Wine base, 2 bottles of WinExpert red Grape Concnetrate....maybe less Strawberry juice...and will add toasted oak....

Hope it turns out as good as the others but with more grape flavors and a little less Strawberry fruit flavor.

You could just freeze your strawberries and add them to the primary in a straining bag....strawberries are pretty juicy when they thaw out.

Hope this is helpful...
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

Gelu, was it done fermenting, what was the SG before stabilizing and sweetening?

It was about 1.00 and was like that for 2 months. Since it did not change I did not worry about it. When I moved the jugsthe last time I checked S.G. is when one of them started to bubble a bit in the airlock.
smiley3.gif

I added K sorbate and K meta, sweetened and stirred and it stopped. Could have been CO2???

Your strawberry wine looks nice. Hope the cloudy ones clear for you as nicely as the others did. Thanks for posting a photo. It really helpsto see what other folkswines are looking like at each stage.

I don't know if they are supposed to look like that. But I do know they tasted as I expected them to.

Cheers....Hope yours turns out to be wonderful....

Picture027Small-1.jpg

Our Strawberry/Red Grape is dark and delicious....Much darker than the photo.Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back