strawberry mead help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trog

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a strawberry mead and after 4 days i'm not seeing much action in the fermenter. not much foam at all. Should I pitch some fresh yeast

did you take a hydrometer reading when you first pitched the yeast? You need to take another one now to see if it is fermenting

Julie's right. Don't go off the foaming. Go off the SG readings - that will tell you if you have fermentation.

Thanks I'll try that. I do here the hissing when I push down the fruit every day.

after 4 days I'm at .995 can this be right.
here is what I used
2 lbs honey
3 lbs strawberrys
1118 yeast

Last edited:
Could very well be. Take it again and if it is the same rack to a carboy.

yep, small batches can go fast. Now de-gassing can be a bear with mead compared to wine. Don't bottle to soon.

The answer is in one of the posts....... 1118 yeast.

EC-1118 is good, don't get me wrong, but it's also a PITA because it can ferment really fast, but it also seems to have a habit of blowing a lot of the aromatics and some of the more subtle flavours straight out the airlock, during the very vigorous first part of the ferment.

I prefer to leave it alone for those making sparkling wines/champagne type stuff.

There's any number of yeasts out there that do a better job with the aromas/flavours.

Besides, presuming it's a "small" batch (gallon or so) then 2lb of honey and the strawbs will still give a relatively low starting gravity, so getting it to .995 in 4 days doesn't really sound surprising......

Latest posts

Back