strawberry jam

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILLIE J.

Junior
Reaction score
I made a wine from strawberry jam and after racking to my carboy I noticed that it stopped fermenting. What should I do?

Good morning Willie J and welcome to the forum.
We could use some more information on the wine- starting SG and current SG would tell us where it started and if it is likely done. Without these reading it is just a guess. You probably don't have any problem as it was probably done when you racked it. If the specific gravity is around .995, then it is likely finished and will begin to clear. If so, top it up and let it clear.

Also list any ingredients you used for this, such as any added sugar, K-meta or campden, etc.

Small batches ferment very fast. Please check gravity with a hydrometer and if it is higher then 1.000 then post the recipe you used including temps.

My starting SG was 1.130 and whenI tranfered it to the carboy the SG was 1.040. After three week I took it off the sediment and back into a clean carboy and thats when I noticed it would not bubble. Also I noticed an bad strange smell almost like bad fruit I noticed that the sediment that I removed was the smell. So what I did was after another two weeks I took it off the sediment again which I dont know was a good thing. That was two weeks ago and last night I tasted it and it seems to be coming around. And about three days ago I notices it bubbledbut it would bubble in and out.This is my first wine with alot of sediment all my other wines were made from juices am I ok thanks

Did you say what yeast you used? Did you add any yeast nutrients. With that high of a SG, the yeast canuse up the nutrients before completion and it can cause off odors. The worst smelling wine I ever made was a strawberry. That is a .090 movement so you are about 12% ABV- the yeast may have died or slowed way down without enough nutrients. You could try to add some more yeast in the form of a starter. Use a good vigorous fermenter like Lalvin 1118 and add enough nutrients for the amount of wine you have by label instructions.

If you like it sweet you could just keep racking to get it clear and enjoy it sweet-in another year as the smell subsides.

I followed the recipe and it said the starting SG should be 1.10. Yes I did put yeast nutrient. I dont know why the SG was that high I did not vere from the recipe at all It did concern me but I figured that the jam had some suyrip in it and brought it up. I used wine yeast. Also when I tasted the wine last night the smell is much better I guess I just need to give it time concerning the bubbling should it be going in and out I figured it sould just be comming out thanks

The bubbles should only be coming out of it. Maybe it is breathing on it's own - IT"S ALIVE! I would leave it a while longer and see what happens. Racking it every 30 days will help with the smell.

Hi Willie!
For future reference can you post the recipe you used? I may be interested in trying it come summer.

Scuba

Hmmm...I had some wine I made into jelly..wonder...what would it be like to take that jelly...and make some wine
smiley3.gif
smiley36.gif

The recipe came out of Winemaker's recipe handbook it comes with most kits you buy it has a purple cover, but if you dont have the book this is the recipe. The book gives the recipe for one gallon you just multiply for larger batch.3lbjelly or jam, 6 pts water , 1 lb sugar, 2tsp acid blend, 1/8tsp tannin, 1tsp nutrient, 1tsp pectic enzyme, 1 pkg wine yeast I was told on the pectic enzym to go off what the container said to use not the recipe. Also with this recipe you put all ingredients and add yeast you dont wait 24 hours like most recipes. I hope this helps you the reason I chose this recipe is the selection is limitless in flavors. Edited by: WILLIE J.

Latest posts

Back