Steaming Pears

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer

Reaction score
I'm fixin to gather pears and put them in the deep freeze for future winemaking. I plan on using the using the steamer to extract the juice prior to making the must.

Question: Do I need to quarter or halfthe pears prior to steaming or just leave them whole?

You can do it either way storm but my preference ( on apples) is to quarter them. I have not steamed pears yet.

I have steamed many fruits...Apples I cut in half....Crabapples I leave whole...

Pears...I am not that fortunate to have any....actually my tree has about 10 on it this year....which is odd because the pollinator tree didn't bloom yet....Usually we get about 2 pears.

Storm, pears are 1 of the hardest fruits to clarify after wine is done. Make sure to use pectic enzyme in that batch and keep a packet of SuperKleer on hand for afterwards. My batch just would not clear on its own and took longer than usual with the SuperKleer but did work very nicely and was 1 of the best wines I have ever made and i was made from canned pears in heavy syrup.

Latest posts

Back