Starting my wine building

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be guessing you're feeding 220VAC with direct burial grade wire. Woulda suggested a bit deeper (30-36") or thru plastic conduit. Never know when someone might decide to dig

Yea any other time I would, but its the family property and there wont be anyone digging here. Also a cattle pen used to sit there and we are going to get more gravel put there to park a little equipment on

got some good work done yesterday and some this
morning. Went to the hardware store today and got all my insulation and osb for the ceiling. Hoping to get it all done tomorrow after church.

Last edited:
Looks like it is coming along really nice.

What kind of insulation is that in the second picture? I've never seen that.

A couple of vents at the peak on both ends will allow that little space above insulation to breathe. Less likely for moisture/mold to form. Small interior should be easy to keep at a somewhat constant climate. Nice job!

Proper Vent is a name for a special baffle that goes in at the eaves and allows air to move through the eave vents and up to the ridge vent without being blocked by the insulation. If you don't use it the roof can get a bad moisture buildup on it and lead to mold, etc.

proper-vent-300x300.jpg

Figure_03_Vented_attic.jpg

Eave vents typically used in conjunction with passive ridge venting. Serves to prevent moisture/mold formation,, heat buildup and subsequent roofing material deterioration. Sheeting will warp and shingles will bake and curl. Not so much a problem in your case, but moisture might be. As suggested, think about a couple of vents on the end gables.

Got primer plus 3 coats of paint done. Working on the vinyl floor tomorrow. Several posts back we discussed the climate down here briefly. We have wild weather swings. Can be 105 in the summer with 80% humidity. It was 65 yesterday here and its 21 right now.

1424021180916.jpg

1424021189128.jpg

Back at Post #17, you said you would be "get to the plumbing" later including installing a 12 gal water heater. I don't see any plumbing outlets/drains in here. Not being critical - I was just really curious how much more complicated this project would be with plumbing added too - I'm sure it would make the whole thing at least 50% more challenging. Seems a little late to get floor drains in now...

Surface mounted plumbing, sink drain thru the wall,, a snap! Floor drain not necessarily necessary:D

Back at Post #17, you said you would be "get to the plumbing" later including installing a 12 gal water heater. I don't see any plumbing outlets/drains in here. Not being critical - I was just really curious how much more complicated this project would be with plumbing added too - I'm sure it would make the whole thing at least 50% more challenging. Seems a little late to get floor drains in now...

Well im happy to have critics because i am no builder and it keeps me thinking. I asked my dad the same question way back because I assumed I would do it when i did the wiring. He explained that since its not being plumbed to a sewer system I can just go straight through the floor and run a drain pipe out. My water will hook up to the building from an outdoor spigot. Guess I will see how well that works out, Im trusting him on it I guess.

I am sure that the building will be a tremendous improvement over the closet you have and I refrain from too many comments on it but I would like to make one comment. That building looks like it was purchased complete and you are finishing it off so you need to work with what you got. The roof would never work here in the north, but may be alright in Arkansas. The rafters have no overhang and until you added the ceiling joists to act as collar ties the roof would not support hardly any weight. Then the metal roofing was put down horizontally instead of vertically with no furring strips or purlins. If it rains hard, the rain will back up to the screws and if they aren't sealed well may leak. If you get freezing rain or snow it will not slide off the roof at all.

Sorry if I seem critical - I don't mean to- just speaking as someone who has many years drafting experience.

I am sure that the building will be a tremendous improvement over the closet you have and I refrain from too many comments on it but I would like to make one comment. That building looks like it was purchased complete and you are finishing it off so you need to work with what you got. The roof would never work here in the north, but may be alright in Arkansas. The rafters have no overhang and until you added the ceiling joists to act as collar ties the roof would not support hardly any weight. Then the metal roofing was put down horizontally instead of vertically with no furring strips or purlins. If it rains hard, the rain will back up to the screws and if they aren't sealed well may leak. If you get freezing rain or snow it will not slide off the roof at all.

Sorry if I seem critical - I don't mean to- just speaking as someone who has many years drafting experience.

yea man I honestly dont know lol. They sell buildings like this left and right down here. Snow never really gets deep here, 12" max. The screws are the kind with the rubber gasket washer.

Back