Box Gutter Rebuild

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Chillin today, letting my 57 year old body heal from 8 days of construction, remember I'm a computer nerd by trade, well not any more, and have not been this physical in quite awhile.

But I had put off renovations to the third floor exterior of my house for about ten years. Have gotten many quotes over the years and spent the last 3 months trying to get quotes from contractors to do the renovations. Quotes ranged from $9000 to $28000 and everything in between. Biggest issue now was that no one could start this anytime soon, 3 months and beyond.

I renovated(gutted to rafters and common walls) this property 20 years ago and did much of the work myself. Never got to the third floor exterior on the original renovation because we ran out of money then and it was in acceptable condition, but it did not hold up the past 10 years. I could do this but had no desire to get up 20 feet on ladders and try pull out all the rot and rebuild/repair the gutter. Explored scaffolding, but traditional scaffolding was getting to convoluted to deal with the first floor bay. Came very close to buying a pump jack system. In the end I rented a 40' boom lift and did the job myself. Luckily one of my coworkers who is still unemployed was available to assist me.

Out of a 16' x 2' x 2' box gutter we pulled out 980 lbs of debris. Somewhere along the lines before I owned the property someone put a layer of 3' concrete under tar paper. I guess some type of repair. Countless layers of tar paper, concrete, shingles, tar and rotted wood. A 100 years worth. I would love to have gotten the third floor stucco removed and window brick, but that will have to be the next owners problem.

We knocked this out in 8 days and came in at under $4000. 2 days of demo, 5 days of rebuild and painting. And may trips to home depot, lowes and several other construction supply.

Operating the boom lift was both somewhat fun and frightening at the same time. Dodged power lines, trees, cars, neighbor's houses, etc.

A few before and after photos. i know not the biggest construction project, but I'm sure glad to have this repair behind me. Next will be the third floor deck, kitchen floor and on and on.

Best thing is I got this done in time for fall grapes!

20190325_113344_1.jpg 20190325_113356_1.jpg 20190403_115715_1.jpg 20190403_115715_2.jpg lift_1.jpg

Looks good, I bet you had fun on that lift once you figured out all the knuckles.

First day was a little shaky, but after a few hours it became easier. The only part I really didn't like is when the boom was extended and the turnstile had to be rotated and the boom would sway at the end of the turn. As much fun as it was i'm glad to be off of it.

Back