Starting my wine building

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The screws are not going to leak if they are tight and driven square, and if they are screwed into the flats of the metal rather than the ridges. I have a 40x40 building I built with metal siding and those screws.

What you may experience, though, is water dripping from your metal roof onto your insulation during the spring and fall months when it is humid and there's a wide swing in temps. I have a 26x30 someone else built with uninsulated metal and it rains inside when the temps change.

Little can be done about the shed now. The roof tin would have to be removed and a double-bubble form of insulation installed under it, then refastened. I suppose alternately, you could tack plastic up from inside on the undersides of the rafters, but that would catch and hold water near the wood then.

I know this type construction inside and out now, and know all the drawbacks and places to watch out.

Double bubble under walls and roof...

Interior fiberglass roll insulation...

The screws are not going to leak if they are tight and driven square, and if they are screwed into the flats of the metal rather than the ridges. I have a 40x40 building I built with metal siding and those screws.

What you may experience, though, is water dripping from your metal roof onto your insulation during the spring and fall months when it is humid and there's a wide swing in temps. I have a 26x30 someone else built with uninsulated metal and it rains inside when the temps change.

Little can be done about the shed now. The roof tin would have to be removed and a double-bubble form of insulation installed under it, then refastened. I suppose alternately, you could tack plastic up from inside on the undersides of the rafters, but that would catch and hold water near the wood then.

I know this type construction inside and out now, and know all the drawbacks and places to watch out.

Double bubble under walls and roof...

Interior fiberglass roll insulation...

I plan on installing a vent as was suggested earlier. Will this help me with condensation much?

Well im happy to have critics because i am no builder and it keeps me thinking. I asked my dad the same question way back because I assumed I would do it when i did the wiring. He explained that since its not being plumbed to a sewer system I can just go straight through the floor and run a drain pipe out. My water will hook up to the building from an outdoor spigot. Guess I will see how well that works out, Im trusting him on it I guess.
I hadn't thought of that - since you are dealing on only 'graywater' (water you can spread on a yard) rather than 'blackwater' (you can probably guess what's in that), you could just drain it into your yard or a ditch. I would recommend locating it far enough away that it doesn't create a mudhole where you walk, or puddle and back up against your house/other structures. Seems like there could be some real freeze danger in that water line from the house though...

I hadn't thought of that - since you are dealing on only 'graywater' (water you can spread on a yard) rather than 'blackwater' (you can probably guess what's in that), you could just drain it into your yard or a ditch. I would recommend locating it far enough away that it doesn't create a mudhole where you walk, or puddle and back up against your house/other structures. Seems like there could be some real freeze danger in that water line from the house though...

the water hook up is a simple spigot inside a meter box. I dont plan on leaving it hooked up. Its very easy to access

Movin' right along there arkansan07! Thanks for your willingness to keep all of us "experts" posted,, LOL! Now for the wine..:b

Making some good progress. Purchased some surplus cabinets and counter top yesterday and go to pick it up tomorrow. Here is a pic of where I am now. Lights are LED and no heat up time.

1424906998740.jpg

If you had used unfinished solid American, French, or Hungarian oak floor, you could have saved the dust from the sanding to add you your wine :d

Looks like you are coming into the home stretch!

Looks great! Here is what I see that you need going forward..

Leather recliners,
a small fridge,
a wall mounted HDTV.
a wine glass rack,
bottle racks,

oh and a caution sign..

M A N C A V E
No women or children allowed

A lot of hard work is really showing!!!

Just a question - will you have another washtub sink in the place? I don't see how you can fit a carboy in that one.

Some of you guys/gals have amazing winery areas, I live in a one bedroomed flat and can only look in awe and think right i need to sort some kind of storage here.

Looking great there ;-)

That loft might be good for some long term storage of stuff as well, out of the way maybe ?

Last edited:
plannng on doing all my major cleanup outside on the concrete slab, hopefully that sink will cut it for a quick rinse. Window unit finally came in, pics to come later in the week

Latest posts

Back