Starting first batch - 2 gal. peach

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nblatchley

Junior
Reaction score
So i just started into the must tonight on my first wine in a long time (did a kit back in 1998).

Recipe so far:

7.4 pds of peaches plus a handful of red table grapes (a whim at the last minute)
2 gallons of water boiled
10 cups (~5 pds) sugar
2 cam. tablets
1 tsp. yeast nutrient

This is resting in a 5 gallon bucket until tomorrow night when I add 1 packet Red Star champagne yeast. I'll take a reading on before I add the yeast to see what my sugar level is and may add more sugar if needed. The plan is to leave it in the primary 2-3 weeks depending on

I couldn't find any pectin enzyme at my local wine supply store, so its not in the mix. Will that be a problem?

Any comments/suggestions is appreciated. I'm planning on starting a red wine kit next week, and then I have foch grapes in the backyard that will come ripe middle of next month. I don't know what size crop I'll get so I'm not sure how big a batch I'll get from that grapes.

Those three will keep me going through the winter I think.

Yes, I'm not known for doing anything in a small way.

Last edited:
The pectic enzyme is important if you want a clear wine. You can add it after fermentation but I'm not sure if it will be as effective.

The pectic enzyme is important if you want a clear wine. You can add it after fermentation but I'm not sure if it will be as effective.
i agree totally! my 2.5 gallon is still not clearing and i used the pectin...however, my 1 gallon is clearing nicely?? go figure.
i betcha if your peaches were good and sweet, u may not need more sugar. all my recipes have needed less than what was called for.

7 #'s is low I would add another 5#'s
Do you have a hydrometer? If so whats the gravity. Never add sugar blindly without getting a gravity reading.

7 #'s is low I would add another 5#'s
Do you have a hydrometer? If so whats the gravity. Never add sugar blindly without getting a gravity reading.

I have a hydrometer and was planning on checking it today to see where it was at before going forward. The peaches were very ripe but not over ripe. That led to some pilfering of the peaches by my wife and child. I had purchased 9.5 pounds for the project on Sunday. In two days I lost 2 pounds of peaches to primary consumption. I may try and pick up a couple more pounds on my way home (.98 cents a pound for local peaches right now).

i agree totally! my 2.5 gallon is still not clearing and i used the pectin...however, my 1 gallon is clearing nicely?? go figure.
i betcha if your peaches were good and sweet, u may not need more sugar. all my recipes have needed less than what was called for.

I'm going to see if they received any enzyme in today at the store. But otherwise I'll have to punt for now.

I'm going to see if they received any enzyme in today at the store. But otherwise I'll have to punt for now.

Well the store got some enzyme in today so I'll add a tsp tonight and then let it sit another day before measuring the S.G. or should I measure it tonight?

Last edited:
I checked the S.G and it was 1.102. But the room was 77 degrees and the must was probably at room temp as well. I put the number in the notes for the batch but do I need to compensate for the temp or for the fruit particles?

Also, based on this S.G. do I need to add sugar or add water to the batch?

I would add more water to bring the gravity down to 1.080. Doing that will also bring down the temp. Your gravity is to high for peach.
Did you increase the # per gal as I suggested? The temp you have will not change the gravity that much .. maybe .002

I would add more water to bring the gravity down to 1.080. Doing that will also bring down the temp. Your gravity is to high for peach.
Did you increase the # per gal as I suggested? The temp you have will not change the gravity that much .. maybe .002

I didn't get to add more peaches, as it has about a pound more peaches per gallon than the original recipe I was basing my efforts on called for orginally. I'll add more water this afternoon and see where the S.G. is after that. Any guess on how much water it will take? I have the batch a good distance from a water facet, so am I looking at a couple cups or 1/2 a gallon more water?

Earlier today I added in my yeast after mixing it with about a 1/2 a cup of warm water. I assume that won't hit the S. G. too munch in the first 12-24 hours right?

Last edited:
hard to say how much but add a cup then measure gravityand see what it is. using math you can figure how much more U will need

hard to say how much but add a cup then measure gravityand see what it is. using math you can figure how much more U will need

When I got home from work the S.G. had risen (pectin enzyme at work I guess) to 1.110 and it took 8 cups of water to get it down to 1.080.

When I opened up the bucket, I could smell the faint smell of yeast starting to work. The must had bubbles in it so that confirms the yeast starting to do its thing.
My plan is to stir it daily and then check the S.G. weekly. I'm unsure at what S.G. point to rack it over to the secondary fermenter. My original recipie referenced potential alcohol readings of 4% as the point to move it over.

I'd suggest checking your SG more often than weekly. My last 2 gallon batch of peach went from 1.084 to .997 in 7 days.

I would check the gravity every day. It can really provide a lot of information as to how the fermentation is going and help you plan ahead.

I would check the gravity every day. It can really provide a lot of information as to how the fermentation is going and help you plan ahead.

Thanks, I'll check it in the morning when I stir it again. Its cooking away right now popping along kicking out the CO2.

Well 2 days later it went to .994 over night and I had to rack it off to another bucket until my Better bottle came in yesterday. I' rack it into the 3 gal. bottle (I have 2.5 gallons of wine) and let it clear up. Other than rack it every couple/3 of weeks for 3 months. What else should I do between now and bottling?

Last edited:
Yes I would especially if you plan on f-pac and/or backsweeten

Latest posts

Back