I might of messed up... Racking time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rino

Junior
Reaction score
So I'm making a red wine blend.. I followed all the steps and levels with the hydrometer. I crushed on Oct 9th... and pressed the grapes on Oct 19.. and put the juice inside a barrel... So its been sitting for 2 months... I plan on doing my first rack in the next few days.

Was I suppose to rack a lot sooner ??

relax
I would have racked sooner, but who knows, it is up to the end result to tell that. It may turn out just fine. learn not to worry and just relax.
I try to rack the first time within the first 2 weeks, but sometimes it can be later depending on what is going on in the wine.
Just keep notes, compare wines, and learn. Soon it will not be a worry just a judgement call.

Most folks rack off the gross lees within 1 to 3 weeks. It's likely your wine is ok, so as @Jusatele said, relax.

Do you have enough wine to top up in the 53 gallon barrel? O2 is your wine's enemy now.

In your other thread I asked about why you're racking the barrel -- this thread explains it.

Latest posts

Back