Started with SG too high...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am making wine for the first time, I choose Toms Blackberry Recipe off this site. I am a complete rookie and read my hydrometer wrong initially. I ment to start with a SG of 1.085 and intead started with 1.185. The wine has been in the primary for 3 days and fermentation is going crazy. I have been keeping the lid loose and stirring twice a day.

I checked my SG tonight and it read 1.070. When should I seal the primary with the airlock? Should I rack to carboy when SG is 1.040 -1.020?

Thanks for everyone's advice in advance!

Advice from one to another.

I would leave the lid off, but cover the bucket with a towel or something similar to keep the dreaded vinegar fly out.

I never bother with S,G,s for too complicated. I wish to compliment you on your correct spelling of the word 'too', I contribute to a few forums 'this side of the pond' and I'm always frustrated with the incorrect spelling of too and to. :tz Cheers, Tony.

That and 'they're' always using the wrong 'there' in 'their' posts too!

If you are transfering with the s.g. that high, you mite want to watch where you have your carboy located. When you introduce a little extra O2 to your wine and put it in a small necked carboy, you have the ingredients for the dreaded wine volcano. I ususally either have the carboy where it will not hurt if it overflows or set it in a large garbage bag pulled a little ways up the sides of the carboy. You do not usually have the problem if you ferment down pretty close to dry in the primary. Arne.

The normal reason to transfer from primary to secondary is the yeasts' fermentation process is going from the aerobic stage or phase to anaerobic stage. Doesn't usually matter where you started, the change over should be at the specified SG reading.

In your case, the yeast may never get to the usual transfer point because the sugar (SG) started so high. Each strain of yeast can only convert so much sugar before they die from the alcohol they are producing.

This forum supports and stresses the utilization of a hydrometer. Just because a wine has stopped bubbling doesn't mean it has stopped fermenting. The opposite is also true. You really do need to take SG readings because if the yeast stop fermenting, the SG will stop falling (Not falling thee days in a row means its stopped), so you will know. You will need to know at what SG they stopped. This will have a big influence on how much sugar it will take to back sweeten. In your case it will likely take less than the recipe calls for because there will still be unfermented sugar in your wine.

I know our great grandfathers likely didn't use hydrometers and many of them made so really fine wine. However, they had their grandfather standing over them teaching and guiding them each step of the way; learning from others' experience.

Last edited:
Thanks Robie

Good info in that post. I will continue to read the SG. Are you saying that the fermentation will stop in the primary? Or will it stop in the carboy. Seems like a lot of work to chech the SG every day for the next 2-3 monthes. How often do you check it?

Thanks Robie

Good info in that post. I will continue to read the SG. Are you saying that the fermentation will stop in the primary? Or will it stop in the carboy. Seems like a lot of work to chech the SG every day for the next 2-3 monthes. How often do you check it?

Where/when it will stop depends on the yeast you used, the temperature of the must and other factors. The idea is to check it periodically.

For example, if you check it today, check it again in a couple of days. If it hasn't dropped bt then, since it has been three (or so) days, it is finished. Every time you check it, if it has changed from last time, wait at least a couple more days to check it again.

While it is dropping pretty fast, you can wait even longer between checks. You will get the fell of it, don't worry.

Last edited:
Checked SG today and it was down to 1.040. Big difference from yesterday! I noticed fermentation has slowed down. I no longer see that big yeasty head on top. It still has a little head to it and it still fizzing. I will prolly check everyday for the next week out of my own curiosity. The recipe says to transfer when it gets to 1.015. I may put the lid with airlock on tonight just to see what happens.

Keep that foam stirred under - about twice each day until you transfer it to the carboy.

Latest posts

Back