RJ Spagnols Started my Winery Series Cab tonight

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOwino

Reaction score
I got all my toys in the mail today and started the RJ Spagnols Winery Series Cabernet Sauvignon. Here are some pics of the wine, equipment and my little wine making area.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

What is the pool cue for? :)

Seriously, I predict that you are very pleased with the Winery Series Cabernet Sauvignon. I have made a number of that series, including the Cabernet Sauvignon and I have always been pleased.

Good luck.

Seriously, I predict that you are very pleased with the Winery Series Cabernet Sauvignon. I have made a number of that series, including the Cabernet Sauvignon and I have always been pleased.

Good luck.

That's my special stirrer! Don't worry, I clean the chalk off before I use it!

I'm glad to hear that you have done this kit before. If you don't mind I would like to ask you a few questions should the need arise.

Nice! I bet you don't pour the bag out into the primary while it's on the pool table! I never manage to do it without getting some splash back.

I just started this one, too, as you know Mowino, and I'm anxious to get it right with such a high end kit. You done one of the Winery Series before?

I'm glad to hear that you have done this kit before. If you don't mind I would like to ask you a few questions should the need arise.

MOwino, I would be pleased to help and you will find a lot of guys and gals on the forum who have made that wine. It is one of the most popular of the Winery Series. Looks like it is moving along very nicely.

Good luck.
Rocky, how long did you age it before it was good to drink in your experience? I have 2 of these kits going at different stages.

UBB, I am on vacation and away from my wine making computer that has all my records. Normally, I bulk age for at least 6 months and no more than 1 year. I would guess I had the Cabs in bulk for about 9-12 months. When I bottle, I always taste (QA sample!) and I usually have part of a bottle left at the end, which we drink. The Cab was good at that time and it has gotten better after a year. I brought some with me on vacation and it is really good now at two years from starting.

Rocky, thanks for the report on the WS cab. I am making at least one Cab every year. In 2011 I made the WE Lodi Cab. This year I made the CC red mountain cab. I already have another red mountain cab for next year. I think I will put the WS cab on my list for the end of next year.

MOwino, keep us posted on your thoughts and tasting notes as your ws cab ages.

MOwino, I would be pleased to help and you will find a lot of guys and gals on the forum who have made that wine. It is one of the most popular of the Winery Series. Looks like it is moving along very nicely.

Rocky, I thought this wine came with 2 packets of oak? Mine only had the one packet of oak powder. Is this normal or did I get shorted?

Got my cab into the secondary today. It smells great and looks even better!:HB

DSCF6001.jpg

You think that's good, wait till you taste it a year or so from now. It will rock your world. Mine is about 15 months right now and it is devine. Wish I had made a double batch.

Ok, I am on my 11th day, on this wine. On the 8th day I racked it into the carboy. I am a little worried because the fermentation went so fast, I am already at .99 SG. I wasn't expecting to be at this point until about the 25th day.
The instructions say to wait until the 2th day and 1.0 or lower SG, well I have already reached the target SG, will it hurt to let it set 17 days? My guess is that it will be ok to wait but I thought I would ask you folks with more experience.

Do you think any harm will come from the fast fermentation?

If it was mine, I would not worry about it. Let it settle before going on. Aging on a small amount of lees won't hurt - might add a bit to the flavor. Your wine also has a mind of its own.

don't get hung up on the days listed in the instructions. use your hydrometer as your guide. if you transferred on day 8 then let it finish in the carboy and then move on to the next step. if it was mine, i would let it sit for 14 days then rack and degas/stabilize/kmet. 3 weeks after that i usually rack again off the sediment and put away for bulk aging
dugger got me started on the 5-20-40-90 thing

http://www.winemakermag.com/component/content/article/26/850-making-your-kit-wine-shine-redeaux

cheers

I bottled my Cabernet on 12-12-12 (figured a little good luck wouldn't hurt!) I had a taste of it at that time and I am very impressed at how good it was at such a young age. It should live up to the hype in a year or two.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

How do you like the labels?

don't get hung up on the days listed in the instructions. use your hydrometer as your guide. if you transferred on day 8 then let it finish in the carboy and then move on to the next step. if it was mine, i would let it sit for 14 days then rack and degas/stabilize/kmet. 3 weeks after that i usually rack again off the sediment and put away for bulk aging
dugger got me started on the 5-20-40-90 thing

http://www.winemakermag.com/component/content/article/26/850-making-your-kit-wine-shine-redeaux

cheers

Good read, thanks for sharing.

RR

Just opened a bottle almost a year old, old my god it is sooooo good. Great color, smooth and all I can say it is good

I have only 7 bottles left that are about 19 months old now. All I can say is WOW! Yes, it is good when young but wait for at least 12-18 months. It will knock your socks off. This is the best non Amarone kit I have ever made.

Latest posts

Back