Mosti Mondiale Started ME Amarone with Raisins...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
I just started the Mosti Master's Edition Amarone with Raisins on Tuesday:

In my basement getting ready to get started:

20071025_125614_Amarone_1.JPG

After adding the raisins and giving it some gentle stirring:

20071025_125751_Amarone_2.JPG

Today (Thursday) it is fermenting like crazy and the raisins have plumped up nicely (what a delicious smell!):

20071025_130135_Amarone_4.JPG
:

20071025_130340_Amarone_3.JPG

I just wanted to share these photos with all of you...

I just one short year I hope to have an outstanding wine here. Amarone anyone?

that looks sooooooooooooooo COOL! I'm hoping to start one soon as well! Keep us up to date with more pics!

-Nico

Sorry but the first thought that came to mind when I saw the pics above was "My god, they make wine on the carpet". I'm way too messy for that.

Although I realize it is your basement, rather a nice amenity to have.

I bought one of these kits and have not started it yet, next year when I have the space.

Edited by: SBRanch

Would more flavor be extracted if the raisins were very lightly chopped in a food processor?

The carpet in the basement is nearly "indestructible" and any wine spilled on it comes right out.

As far as chopping the raisins, I guess it could be done. However, this is my first Mosti All-Juice kit and I'm trying hard to follow the directions exactly although they are sometimes quite vague and confusing.

About 6 days afer starting, the raisins have to be scoopedup and put in a mesh bag in order to sqeeze out the juice into the must. I don't know if chopping them might make this a little more difficult or not.

I thought it was interesting that when you rack into the carboy (6 days or so) that you transfer everything, lees and all. I'm so used to leaving the lees in the primary fermenter.

I have a WE Crushendo Shiraz coming out from George today and I've heardthat will be a totally different experience as well.

smiley2.gif

Looks very delicious. I have been wondering what value is added by chopping up the raisins. I know most country wine recipes say to do so and I have done it for years, but these kits just instruct us to pour the raisins in without any chopping. If you look at the raisins, it looks like they have been zapped of all the goodies by the alcohol in fermentation. Crushing grapes in fresh grape fermentation is necessary to extract the juice. It would be interesting to test a kit side-by-side with raisins just poured in and raisins choppped up to see if there is any added value.

After making a few of the MM kits with raisins and tasting the raisins after removing from the primaryI would say there is no need to chop them. All thesweetness is gone and since the sugar was extracted then the added flavor, tannin and any other goodies would be also.

The key is to stir the batch daily as per the instructions to help with proper extraction.

I agree. That is why I am thinking about discontinuing my practice of chopping raisins with a food processor and just adding a pound or two unchopped. I would think there is very little benefit to chopping, given the solvent effect of the alcohol. Edited by: dfwwino

Why did you choose the Mosti Mondiale - All Juice Masters Edition vs. the Mosti Mondiale - All Juice Amerone?

The $35 difference in price would pay for shipping to where I live.

I talked with George quite a while about it, and he said that he felt like it was a much better kit. Since I wanted a really nice Amarone with raisins that I would age for quite a while, he thought this would be the best "bang for the buck."

I just transferred it to the carboy today. Of course I had a little taste. It was pretty awesome after just 5 days.

smiley2.gif

I dunno, tcb54. I have the All Juice (non-masters) bulk aging and it is pretty awesome.

To borrow the vernacular of my youth in L.A., "dude, there is pretty awesome, and then there is super-duper-mega-mondo-awesome."Perhaps that is what George meant. Of course, you need to read this post with the voice of Jeff Spicoli (Fast Times at Ridgemont High).Edited by: dfwwino

I'm just quoting George here...

Anyway,in a year I'll let you know if it's awesome or not. I'm counting on it being super-duper-mega-mondo-awesome!

smiley2.gif

PeterZ said:
I dunno, tcb54. I have the All Juice (non-masters) bulk aging and it is pretty awesome.

Hi PeterZ,

Do you know what the actual difference between All Juice and the Masters Edition - All Juice kit is? Is it a marketing thing or is there actually a substantiave difference in kit, juice prep, etc.?

I have checked out the MM website, but don't see anything other than marketing lingo about "raising the bar". I'm just trying to make the decision about which one to get and am wanting to do it based on "data" if possible. Thanks.

I think the main difference is that the Masters Edition is a true varietal where as the All Juice may be a blend. The masters will be more true to its name. the Masters is also probably sourced like it says from some more reputable vineyards. Better grapes make better wines.

Latest posts

Back