Mosti Mondiale Started ME Amarone with Raisins...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wade,

What a great quote: "Better grapes make better wines."

smiley2.gif

laneygirl:
Based on info I obtained from Mosti cust service, the Master's Edition get a portion of the "specially selected" grapes used in the Meglioli LE's which is then blended with some of their regular juice. So my conclusion is the AllJuice is their regular blend, The best is the Meglioli which uses all "select grapes" and in between is the Master's Edition which like a combination of the two.

tcb54 said:
Wade,

What a great quote: "Better grapes make better wines."

smiley2.gif

I would qualify that statement with"Better grapes have the potential to make better wines" You can take a plain grape and make a very good wine. You can take a great grape and make a really great wine, but you can also take a great grape and make a bad wine. Making a high quality kit with great grapes increases the likelihood you will have a truly great wine.Edited by: appleman

Jackie said:
laneygirl:
Based on info I obtained from Mosti cust service, the Master's Edition get a portion of the "specially selected" grapes used in the Meglioli LE's which is then blended with some of their regular juice. So my conclusion is the AllJuice is their regular blend, The best is the Meglioli which uses all "select grapes" and in between is the Master's Edition which like a combination of the two.

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for that additional information. It's great news and helps justify the purchase I just made of MM Master's Edition - Granbarolo. I'm real excited to get it...and get it started, although I'm going to wait until after Thanksgiving since I'll be out of town during part of that time.

Thanks again!

I spent an hour on the phone tonight with the president of Mosti. First time we had talked and I REALLY LIKE THE GUY!!!!!!

I now understand what he is trying to do and a lot of behind the scenes stuff that I can not share at the moment, but I will say I trust him! It is HIS company and he has been through some trying times, but he wants to put out the best juices available.

The Master's edition is a better product as it uses a higher quality juice. "The better the fruit, the better the wine". I have made several of the Master's and they are definitely a step up from the All Juice. This is the $20+ bottle range.

Hi George,

Thanks for insight into the difference in MM products. It's good to know you have the "insider" track with MM president/owner. I'll look forward to further "insider" info, as you can share it.

It'llbe fun to get to make a kit that produces a $20+ bottle of wine.

George, I may be splitting hairs but is the fresco considered better than the all juice because it is not flash pasterized. I would have like to had the raisins with my fresco but I thought since this is frozen juice it would be better than even the Masters (is the Masters available frozen and is it sterilejuice) now I'm confused. I did add some rasins and grape skins to my fresco to add body. What I'm trying to say is can I get Fresco unpasterized juice with raisins and if so is this called Masters Edition.Edited by: bonvec

I hate to say, but I don't have the answers you seek as to what goes in the various kits.

From a comparitive standpoint, there is not much of an overlap between the fresco and the Masters. As a result, it is hard to say which is best. Both are better than the pasteurized All Juice, but the fresco is less expensive; therefore, a better value. At least that is the feedback I received when we bottled the Chilean Fresco's and the Masters Barolo.

I hope to learn more over the next 6 months as my relationship with MM grows. They seem to be willing to share more technical info than previously, but I don't want to push too fast.

George,

Based on the experience you had with freezing/shipping, do you plan to offer the Chilean Fresco's to those of us that require shipping?I missed out this time but want to try one or two if I can. Thanks for all the effort you're putting into this.

We only have one problem to solve to make it work, everytime. Mosti is performing a test on their end and we should know for sure by the end of the month.

We are trying to ship the Mosti Mondiale fresh juice in a frozen state so we can make it available to all. Right now, it comes in refrigerated so it has to be picked up in the store. If we can freeze it, we can ship it anywhere in the U.S. The problem we encountered was that there was not enough room in the bucket for expansion. The reason may have been that Mosti overfills the buckets. They are going to fill a bucket to exactly 23 liters (6 gallons) and freeze a bucket. If there is enough room, problem solved. If not, we have to go back to the drawing board. Based on simple math, we should be very close to having enough room, but I am not a physics major. Just a bean counter.

Thanks for the answer. I'm living in Montreal, Quebec so I buy my Fresh juice in store almost frozen. From what I saw, they dont put more that 23 liters in the bucket and at a semi-frozen stage, there's still 2-2 1/2 inches of empty room at top of the bucket.

We'll good luck to you guys, I feel lucky to have such an easy access to Mosti Fresh Juice.

By the way, if you guys can manage to import ''Red Raisins specially select'' for Mosti products, you'll see, your clients we'll get ''addicted'' to it. I started putting these raisins in my Fresh Juice and it really enhanced the taste, color and body. It's packaged by Mosti Mondiale and it really looks, smells and taste like the one that are provided in Meglioli kits.

You are very lucky indeed. The fresh juice makes great wines. That is why I am trying to ship them frozen.
The juices should arrive at the retailers at 28 degrees, in a slushy form. That is great for pickup, but it can not be shipped at that temperature.

From what I know, the buckets are filled with 23-1/2 to 24 liters. Nino, the president of Mosti does not want anyone shorted, so he overfills intentionally. Hopefully, this is our problem.

By the way, freezing should require around 11% additional space which would translate into slightly over 1/2 gallon (2.5 liters). As such, there is not much margin for error.

Where do you get the raisins? Mosti does not sell their raisins separately. Nino and I specifically discussed this topic and why they do not sell them as a stand alone product.

tcb54 said:
The carpet in the basement is nearly "indestructible" and any wine spilled on it comes right out.

As far as chopping the raisins, I guess it could be done. However, this is my first Mosti All-Juice kit and I'm trying hard to follow the directions exactly although they are sometimes quite vague and confusing.

About 6 days afer starting, the raisins have to be scoopedup and put in a mesh bag in order to sqeeze out the juice into the must. I don't know if chopping them might make this a little more difficult or not.

I thought it was interesting that when you rack into the carboy (6 days or so) that you transfer everything, lees and all. I'm so used to leaving the lees in the primary fermenter.

I have a WE Crushendo Shiraz coming out from George today and I've heardthat will be a totally different experience as well.

smiley2.gif

Does Mondi Mondiale provide the mesh bag for the raisins to get transferred into? Cellar Craft does provide one for their crushed grape packs...it's sort of a muslin material. I am planning on starting my ME MM Granbarolo kit and want to make sure I have all the "stuff" I need to proceed when I get home.

You don't need a bag. The raisins will float to the top of the fermenter, then you can use a kitchen strainer to scoop out the raisins.

That's what I did and then I gave them a few squeezes with my sanitized hand. Worked like a charm and then there was no bag to clean.

Me to as I just transferred the Bodega port to carboy and I scooped all raisins with small metal strainer which i bought for $3.29 at grocery store and will use it only for grape skins and raisin packs.

Latest posts

Back