WineXpert Started Island Mist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunTim

Reaction score
Started an Island Mist Mango Citrus Symphony onFriday 2/23/07
20070226_121129_c7a.JPG

Pitch the yeast to her and she is going strong. Should be ready to rack to bottle by Thu.
20070226_121411_c8a.JPG

Cajun, looking good.

Have you thought of adding some sugar to the mist kit? I've heard of others doing it and being very happy with the results. I have done 2 or 3 of the kits myself without adding sugar. Though when I tasted the last ones, I thought to myself that it was a little to sweet and thought some more alchol would have ofset that and made the flavor more enjoyable.

Either way, I'm sure the wine will be awesome! Keep us posted.

Rshosted,
Yes, I thought about adding suger but then I have never done a mist kit yet and wanted to see what the outcome would taste like first and have something to compare to. Buttttt...yeaaa..I sure I will be kicking it up a bit later down the road after I have this one under my belt. If you look at the Winexpert Island Mist website, they give you a great rescipe for making a cocktell with a bottle of mist.
smiley1.gif

rshosted, I agree with you. After bottling and tasting a little of the Green Apple Riesling, I wish I would of added the sugar and bought the alcohol level up some to offset the sweetness. While its not as bad as I thought it was going to be (didnt really make this for myself) I think it could be alot better if it were a little stronger.

Wade
It seems that most people here like the Green Apple. I may have to make that one for my wife when she is done with these 30 bottles.

It is very good and being less sweet is probably the reason! Ive had it and it I like it too!
smiley17.gif

Oh Tim! Don't wait for her to be done with 30 bottles. Get it going soon so that as soon as you have 30 bottles available, you can bottle it for her. Just remember, when the wife is happy, everyone's happy!
smiley2.gif

Polish, That's funny
smiley36.gif
I have a lot of kit and fruit wine I want to try. Will have to buy more Carboys I am thinking.

This is the mango again. It just cooking away.
smiley1.gif
20070227_070945_c11a.JPG

Day 6,

Transferred the I.M. Mango today. It looks very good at this time. I can tell now that I am not a big fan of the 3 pc air lock. I like seeing the bubbles doing there thing.

20070302_073834_c15a.JPG
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I am going to make my first Island Mist kit, the Exotic Fruits White Zin. I am making it for the Wife. Anyone made this one? Should I add sugar to it to give it a boost or make as is?

Also, I see Island Mist and Orchard Breezing kits. Different company? One better than the other? Any difference at all? Just wanting to get some insight. I hear people talk about the Mist kits all the time but don't hear people talk about the Orchard Breezing kits.

Smurfe

I have made the IM Exotic Fruits White Zin. It finishes on the sweet side, they run a little low on alcohol. Overall it is pretty tasty, but I prefer the Wildberry Shiraz and the Blackraspberry Merlot. About 5 pounds of sugar in the batch definitely kicks it up a notch- but do so at your own risk.
smiley2.gif

Orchard Breezing are made by RJ Spagnols and they are the same type of kit as the Island Mist by Winexpert. I have made many of both for the wifeand haven't seen a real difference at all except for what flavor you want.

To be honest I don't think I have ever made one of these kits without adding sugar and 5 lbs is a good start.
smiley4.gif
A few tsp's of yeast nutrient also helps the yeast work on that extra sugar.

With the sweetness level in the finished wine the added alcohol isn't noticeable at all until after you have a few glasses and stand up!
smiley20.gif

So do you add the sugar to meet a specific SG? Shooting for 1.090? Do you just dump it in the juice and stir or dissolve it in water first and add to the juice?
Smurfe

Smurfe, I add to a pan of water(about a quart and a half), bring to a quick boil and let it cool a bit. The juice bag isn't too big so you have to add a lot of water anyway, that cools the must back down enough usually. It usually ends up about 1.080 or so, good enough for the women
smiley2.gif
, and not bad for the guys either.

Sounds good appleman. I will give that a try. I figured that was what i would do. I was guessing the juice bag in these kits was about the same as a Vintner's Reserve kit.

Smurfe

smurfe said:
So do you add the sugar to meet a specific SG? Shooting for 1.090? Do you just dump it in the juice and stir or dissolve it in water first and add to the juice?Smurfe

I have been following the directions for making invert sugar (in the link below paragraphfive using lemon juice) to help hydrolyze the sucrose into fructose and glucose which the yeast has an easier time converting to ethanol and CO2. I starting doing this since some of thebatches I was adding a lot of sugar to were taking longer than usual to complete fermentation and this has eliminated that issue.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup

Good info Masta. I guess I should have taken another Chemistry class or two in school! Oh well, never too old to learn- well maybe it is-it takes longer than it used to!

I made the blackberry cab. and the peach/apricot char..With a little age they got better.

Latest posts

Back