Stage two.....pear wine.. 2nd fermentation/racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirden1959

Reaction score
Followed a recipe

5 pounds of home grown small pears. chopped up in to 1/2 piece (destemmed and cored) and then frozen.
1 gallon of water
2 pounds of sugar (just regular table sugar)
pectic enzyne, yeast nutrient camdem tablet (spelling ?)
boiled half the water placed in bucket mixed all chemicals firsts then added the pears in a nylon bag and added the room temp water (1/2 gallon).
24 hours later mixed in wine yeast, 1 full package ( I know now I need to add it in warmed water mixed first) temp been between 60 to 75 going to add a heating pad tonight to keep the temp more steady.

Start SG 1.072 9% Alcoh.Content *(sugar reading
day 3 SG 1.060 7.5 Alcoh COntent Stirred it to
day 4 SG 1.055 6.75. Alcoh COntent Stirred it to
day 5 SG 1.040 4.8 Alcoh COntent Stirred it to
day 6 SG 1.020 6.75. Alcoh COntent Stirred it to

day 7 SG 1.010 Degassed for 10 minutes (learned that because of the great folks here)
Then placed in 2- 1 gallon glass jugs for second fermentation.

Day 9 Air bubbles stopped coming in the airlock, yeast and solids settle to the bottom wine is starting to clear all ready.

SG is .0995, has stopped bubbling. Temp has been 68 degrees thru the whole process.

Question 1 Can the pear wine be done fermenting all ready?
Question 2 Should I stir it up again degas some more then leave it all settle again or just basically rack it.

Question 3 I would like to add some sweetness, taste is a little flat, was thinking some pear juice if I can find it if not I can make my own. Or I can add some sugar (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) but how much should I add..

Thanks all… I have learned much in the last couple of weeks from every one, both from my frst post ad reading others post.

There wasn't any acid added in your recipe?

rack it, sorbate and sulphite it and sweeten ..Add syrup to your taste.. It's up to you whether you use syrup or pear juice syrup.

I'd add a little citric acid to combat the flatness. Stir in half a teaspoon of acid and taste.. sweeten and taste again.. it has to be personalised to your own preferences really.

let us know how you get on..

Allie

Allie covered it all, so no additions there.

Indeed the wine can be finished after 9 days. I had an apple wine
finishing fermenting in 5 days !!! So no worries.

Just one little thing.
You degassed on day 7 while the wine was still fermenting
and that has no use as more CO2 will be produced.
Degas:
a) after fermentation has stopped and the wine has aged.
b) Only when needed.

When a wine is properly made and aged you do not have to degas.
I have never degassed my fruit wines.

Luc

All three batches of pear that I have made stopped at .996 SG. I agree with Luc you degassed way too soon and will need to try it again after clearing. I like to do this when adding the syrup.

Last edited:
I guess it al depends on how you make your wine cause Ive had a fruit wine that sat in carboy through various temp changes for a little over 1 year which I normally dont do with fruit wines and still was loaded with C02. I usually only do about 6 months with fruit wines but I was pretty much ready to bottle when I blew out 2 discs in my back and I didnt have my electric pump then and couldnt make it down stairs for awhile.

the wine came out great.............

Just a quick catch up on my first home made wine... The pear wine is great, very clear, smooth, right in the middle for sweetness. Can't wait till summer as new fruit comes ripe.

But I am letting the other 16 bottles age more, drank 3.... rest are for special times!

Thanks all for the advice

I guess it al depends on how you make your wine cause Ive had a fruit wine that sat in carboy through various temp changes for a little over 1 year which I normally dont do with fruit wines and still was loaded with C02. I usually only do about 6 months with fruit wines but I was pretty much ready to bottle when I blew out 2 discs in my back and I didnt have my electric pump then and couldnt make it down stairs for awhile.

Last year I air conditioned my wine cellar throughout the hot months. My reds aged a year and still had alot of CO2 in them. I am now degassing to eliminate what hasn't dissapated over time.

Latest posts

Back