Sparkolloid VS Super-Kleer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clearing Preference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

closetwine

Advanced Idiot
Reaction score
Which does everyone prefer? I used S-K tonight on a few small batches of wine, it's been a hour and I'm seeing DRASTIC improvement:r... I picked up some Spark. for the next few batches because it is cheaper. So what do you use and why? I'm just curious. I guess time would be option C.

I generally use super kleer if needed. I do have some sparkaloid and only used it once or twice. I just ordered 8 packs of SK from George. Cant beet the price at $1.99 each. Order enough other things that are needed and its still cheaper even with shipping.

We've had this thread many times before. It's all in what works for you. I was taught to use sparkolloid so that's what I use.

The sparkolloid is a positively charged clarifier that attracts the sediment which is negatively charged and drags it to the bottom. Bentonite works well and is recommended for whites but I use spark. for my whites as well. Too much bentonite can remove some flavor.

SuperKleer is both negatively and positively charged so it will usually work better IMO. It doesnt not need any sediment to be left in like some other fining agents and you dont need to do any boiling like Sparkaloid. IMO its the easiest and fastest fining agent out there. I dont really use any fining agents anymore unless I have a stubborn wine that just wont clear over time as most of wy wines bulk age for around a year now.

With any fining agent please let it sit around 2 weeks for the lees to compact better, Sometimes fining agents like this can do their job in 2 days but if you put the racking cane in there after this short period it will be easily disturbed defeating the whole purpose.

Wade, how do you bulk age? In the glass carboy? Is that better than in the bottle? bk

I prefer in the carboy to let even more sediment fall out as it always does especially since I usually dont use a fining agent.

SuperKleer is both negatively and positively charged so it will usually work better IMO. It doesnt not need any sediment to be left in like some other fining agents and you dont need to do any boiling like Sparkaloid. IMO its the easiest and fastest fining agent out there. I dont really use any fining agents anymore unless I have a stubborn wine that just wont clear over time as most of wy wines bulk age for around a year now.

With any fining agent please let it sit around 2 weeks for the lees to compact better, Sometimes fining agents like this can do their job in 2 days but if you put the racking cane in there after this short period it will be easily disturbed defeating the whole purpose.

This pretty much sums it up I think. I just ordered a bunch fro George, great prices.

I ended up paying the full shipping though. Need to get more $$ from #1 SON as most of order was for him

Wade have you ever noticed that the SK or any of the fining agents leave a taste or take away taste from the wines?? I know it was said one took away some flavor.

Ive never noticed that and I did do a side by side test on one batch. I have noticed slight color loss twice though.

Just so I can get my arms around the level of this new hobby of mine, how many carboys do you try to keep going (aging) at one time. Do you sulfate when the fermentation process is done, then set them up on a shelf with a don't open till Christmas 2011 note on em ? bk

Just so I can get my arms around the level of this new hobby of mine, how many carboys do you try to keep going (aging) at one time. As many as I can take care of, have room for and have carboyd for. usually 10-15
Do you sulfate when the fermentation process is done, then set them up on a shelf with a don't open till Christmas 2011 note on em ?Stabilize when fermentation is complete and 1/4 tsp of k-meta every three months bk

I hope this helps and I plan my bottling so I can k-meta just before bottling.

The S-K Worked GREAT on the pineapple. It pulled the sediment out of the Watermelon but it's still hazey... didn't help the apple... Grr...

I hope I'm not stealing this thread, but while were on the topic, I think I like the idea of bulk aging, would it make any sense to fill a 3 gallon carboy, let it sit a year, then bottle the rest for earlier consumption?

"As many as I can take care of, have room for and have carboyd for. usually 10-15"

Mother of god you have 60 to 80 gallons of wine waiting to bottle? This adds a whole new perspective to this hobby. bk

I had a wine that was still hazy after a year and against all ive ev=ver heard tried the filter on it and it came out crystal clear. Apple is a tough one though, try more pectic enzyme on that one.

Latest posts

Back