Sparkolloid VS Super-Kleer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clearing Preference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i've had superkleer not work and bentonite work. it can depend on the batch. i prefer bentonite because it doesn't impart flavor. that said, superkleer usually works better. as wade does, i let it sit for a LONG time and avoid either.

The S-K Worked GREAT on the pineapple. It pulled the sediment out of the Watermelon but it's still hazey... didn't help the apple... Grr...
The Super Kleer works great in the short term, but that does not mean that it is done. Give it more time and remember Toms mantra. :b

GO PHILS

Last edited:
Allergy Alert on SK

I have both sparkolloid and Super-Kleer and have not used the SK yet because of the concern of the Shellfish Derivative Allergy Alert. If you use SK in your wine will it pose a problem to those with a shellfish allergy? OR, does it all fall out of the wine when it clears? Just wondering.

The proteins from the shellfish are gone so there is no worry there. Ive emailed SuperKleer many years ago dealing with this matter and they assured me for the purpose its meant for they would have to put a huge disclaimer or warning label on this product if there was any risk. the process used removes any possible proteins so all is good.

anyone ever use egg whites for clearing.....i have heard of some using these since i believe they have a negative charge. i have also used gelatin in beer and works great....wondering if it works for wine too....very cheap and accessible.

ok Guys, I have got another one of those annoying newbie questions, I apologize in advance.
I primarily make fruit wine one gallon at a time. The direction on line for super-kleer states that one package is good for 5 gallon batches, is this treated the same as yeast and the same amount is ok for one gallon batches or will it impart off flavors by using two much?
Thanks for your help

I usually use sparkolloid, however I recently I started using superkleer and find that it seems to be easier and faster (when used correctly). Sparkolloid works good but it seems to be more work to use it. Getting it to disolve is a pain.

I've ha a 100% success rate with Super-Kleer, I never tried anything else!! ;)

I used Sparklloid simply because that is what my Skeeter Pee recipe called for and that is my first time ever trying it. I have always used Super Clear and will be going to back to that on my next batch. Sparklloid is taking sooooo long. I can be crystal clear in 2 days with Super clear.
No brainer.

Sparkolloid starts to clear wine right away if prepped correctly. Whatever works for you.

I use egg whites on my blackberry only...I have tried sparkoloid twice, and bentonite twice.
I do however think that adding bentonite on the 2nd are 3rd day of ferment helps any finning agent...
I use super kleer for everything other then the blackberry and buy it in 1 liter amounts...

James, egg whites are usually used to remove astringent tannins. Do you think they are actually helping other fining agents clear proteins? Egg whites are protein. I'm wondering if you have any data other than a feeling or anecdotal data to say it helps in this way.

I have no data...when i first made blackberry, and was trying to clear, i had no idea about sparkoloid, super kleer, so I used egg whites based on what i read. It worked, the wine was excellent, and why stop a working method.
I have never tried egg whites in anything else...just the blackberry.
I think it did remove some tannins, and made the wine a little softer...

I used sparkolloid on my concord port and was shocked that it cleared crystal clear within 2 days tops. I racked again and it's been in the carboy ever since and still no sediment. It's sitting in a 60F room age. I guess you really must have to simmer it for the appropriate amt of time. I had racked that the same day as my dragon blood batch which I used SK on, took longer than I anticipated. My SK pkg says to wait one minute after stirring the kieselsol to put the chitosan in is that long enough?

My SK pkg says to wait one minute after stirring the kieselsol to put the chitosan in is that long enough?

It should say 1 hour....

Really?? But mine is not the name brand by kc finings - it's just kieselsol and chitosan in liquid form. No sorry it's says add kieselsol and stir for 1 minute, wait for 5 mins then add chitosan and stir. I just used this pkg with those directions on my chocolate orange port and immediately 1 inch of sediment dropped to the bottom of the carboy. I'm sure it's clearing fast too - haven't checked it yet it's in a cool dark room for aging.

to be honest, you can add any which one first.
each does a different charge.
i would wait at least one hour before adding the other..

one will get the negative
the other the postive

the order in which they are used is really no matter...

i have on purpose added them incorrectly and always get the same result..but i do wait ...sometimes.

Back