Sorbate and Malolactic Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyclk

Reaction score
Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Here is the scenario....

On October 17, 2010 I started a 5 gallon batch of Concord Grape using Welch's 100% Frozen Concentrate. I had all of the ingredients I needed EXCEPT for potassium metabisulfite. I also did not have any Campden tablets, therefore the must was NOT sulfited before fermentation in the primary. I did make sure that everything was sanitized very well.

The fermentation went as expected. I transferred to the secondary on October 25 where it sat until November 10. From November 5 - 10 the SG read .992 so I assumed the fermentation was completed. There were however a few bubbles still rising to the top of the carboy. I assumed this was residual CO2 escaping. I then racked the wine, degassed, and added 5 crushed campden tablets and 2.5 tsp of sorbate to stabilze. Now it is sitting with the bung and airlock so that it can age and clear.

After doing a lot of research on MLF, I am now worried that I added sorbate to a wine that was undergoing MLF.

1. Do you think the bubbles I saw before racking were residual CO2 or actually from MLF?

2. Would Welch's 100% frozen grape contain malolactic bacteria to even start a MLF?

3. Am I just being paranoid!?

I am hoping the wine turns out with a nice grape flavor instead of geraniums!

For a more detailed process on this batch of wine, you can see my blog at
ckirby.com/wine

Thank you!

Kirby I would guess that you were witnessing CO2 escaping from the wine. Did you degass? I'm sure your wine will turn out fine.

thanks for the fast reply! I am new to this forum and I wish I would have joined YEARS ago. It is such a great community.

To answer your question, yes, I did degass before I added the campden tablets and the sorbate.

Kirky, I have never sulfited a batch of welches concord grape and every one has been fine. Degass the wine and it will clear faster

did you not sulfite the welch's because it already contained sulfites? if so, do you think I over sulfited it by adding 5 campden tabs at the end? did you not add any at all throughout the entire process?

ok I gooffed I don't sulfite at beginning, I alway use K-Meta at end. Bad me

As Mike was saying, processed juices do not need sulfites added in the beginning as any wild yeast was killed off during this processing. If it was going through MLF which I highly doubt but anything is possible I still dont think you have much to worry about as its was only doing so for about 5 days or so before you sulfited and killed the bacteria. That little time is very negligible.

thanks again guys for responding so fast. as i said before, this forum is awesome and I wish I would have stumbled upon it much sooner! maybe some of my earlier batches would have turned out better with the help of you all. :)

Latest posts

Back