Some vineyard pictures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first and last ones ar 6 year Frontenac. The middle ones are beginning year three of a training system trial I am conducting. I am using 4 varieties with four training sytems and three replications of 9 vines each for a total of 432 in that trial.
They are Petite Amie and St Pepin for whites and Marquette and Mn 1200, a sister seedling to Marquette, but unreleased yet. I got authorization from the breeder and U of Minn to include it in the trial. The idea is a low vigor and med to high vigor variety each white and red to see what training system is appropriate for each.

Dan I applied Roundup and Matrix on Mother's day with a backpack. First fungicide spray was today after the pictures.

Great pics Rich, How did you get a pic of your vineyard so dry, are those last years pics?

Last edited:
Believe me it isn't so dry Wade. I walked in the drier higher section of it to get pictures. It smells like a swamp out there after trying to mow it- no nice green grass smell, but rotting muck smell. I have never had it anywhere as wet as it is at my place in over half a century.

Bummer Rich, I hope that doesnt pose a problem with disease for you. Its been raing here for days on end mostly on and off but my grass has been growing lke crazy!!!

Looks like more thunderstorms are almost here- lots of yellows and reds on the map about 25 miles west moving this way..................

Looking good there! I need to get mine in better shape, I like the way you are training yours.

Unfortunately, we had a late frost that killed a bit of the growth on mine. But the hardiest ones have little grape clusters on them! One vine died almost completely, but a little shoot started to grow from the base, so it's coming back.

Well looks like nobody dared follow the link except Wade. He knows I am safe because we are both Administrators on FineVineWines Forum,

I figured I would post some pictures here. Most of these are early season third year from my training system trial.

First off TWC

Then Modified Geneva Double Curtain

Next VSP

And then Scott Henry

Add in a side by side shot

TWC1.jpg

ModGDC.jpg

VSP.jpg

ScottHenry.jpg

SideBySide.jpg

As pretty a sight here as well as the Fine Vine Wines Forum! Nice to see what I need to do pruning wise as my vines grow.

Grapeman I did follow the link but didn't come back and post. Those are great pictures of your vineyard. I especially like the scott henry one since I have converted over to it on most of the vines I have growing at my place.

How is the workload versus crop gain(both quality and quantity) on the different systems your trialing. In other words are you finding a system that you like and can work with other then TWC.

Sorry Rich I did follow the link but forgot to come back here to tell you how nice your vineyard looked I think it looks great

Latest posts

Back