Mosti Mondiale Slight Orange Color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickC

Reaction score
I just bottled a MM AJ Masters Pinot Grigio this last weeked. Instead of the typical faint yellow straw color I had a slight orange tint to the wine. Just wondering ifothers that have made this kit can comment on color.
The other concernis could slight oxidation cause this? During atransfera couple months ago I had a hose problem that was allowing a small amount of air to enter the steam. Nothing would stop it so I kept going and immediately put a vacuum on the carboy to try to remove any O2 in solution. Taste at bottling was good. Thoughts??

Did the carboy ever sit for any length of time with a large headspace? Did you add the Sulfite package? If no (to the headspace problem) then it is doubtful your rack added enough O2 to cause a problem. I made a MM Pinot Grigio about 18 months ago and it was slightly darker in color to begin with. I have several threads about MM white wines that have turned pretty dark in color after only 12 months. It seems to be fairly common with them.

It never had a headspace problem and yes the sulfite pack was added when it was transferred to the carboy for secondary aging.Aged for 3 months before adding more sulfite and bottling. Hopefully it is naturally dark. I thought about the Bottle Shock movie as well. I guess more time will tell.

It tasted fine at bottling, it wasn't exposed to air excessively and you sulfited properly. I predict success, Rick!

I have a MM Pinot Grigio aging in a carboy and it is a little less pale yellow that PG's that I have purchased. It tastes great and the color seems to lighten in a bottle versus a carboy. I will be bottling mine in about two weeks.

Latest posts

Back