Signs that the primary may be finished

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arza

Junior
Reaction score
Being this is my first time making wine i have a lot of trivial questions that have mostly been answered by just finding out, trial and error. Or, by asking people on this beginners forum. Like how to get my yeast to start.

Well I've come with another question.

How am I completely sure that my primary fermentation is finished?

I have done some reading and many places say many different things. Im looking for a common answer.
After pitching my yeast there was plenty of activity for right at 36 hours. At the moment, 48 hours later, it seems as if the high activity has slowed. Still there is a light foam at the top of my must and a small amount of bubbling. From both the must and the airlock.

Now i have heard 5-7 days is a good amount of time before siphoning into my secondary.
But my real question is, Should i be intuitive?..... Is the slowing of activity a sign that it is time to move to stage two? Or is it best to wait until around 5 days?

Last edited:
Going by a specific gravity reading is much better than time and/or appearance. The fermentation will slow if there is a big drop in the temperature giving the mistaken impression that the fermentation is finished.

I transfer to secondary (ie carboy) when the sg is 1.005 or lower. The fermentation is complete when the sg doesnot change over 2-3 days. Typically this is .995 or lower, but is dependent on a number of factors.

Transferring to carboy too early can cause re-invigoration of the fermentation and the wine may bubble up and through the carboy neck/bung/air-lock causing a mess (especially if red wine) that most people do not want.

Steve

I'm guessing you don't have a hydrometer? It sounds like it is still fermenting a bit, but close to done. If you want to rack it before it's dry, you could probably do it any time.

I do have one, i was just unaware that i need to take a reading at this time.

p.s. it seems as if your signature is very fitting for this topic lol

Too late as in a few hours too late or a week too late? lol

It should be fine, as long as there isn't a lot of exposure. I was recently doing a batch of chardonnay and it fermented faster than I was expecting. Checked it one morning and it was stopped, fermented dry. It was covered. I racked it. I think it's ok.

What was your initial S.G.? 48 hours is pretty fast to get to 1.000. You might want to test it again to see if you accidentally misread it. Light foam seems like it's still actively fermenting--especially for 1.000.

really!? even if its only been 2 days?

You might want to double check the SG as Flem suggested. Based on the SG of 1.0, you could rack it, I think. I am still new at this too.

I am also curious what your starting SG was. You could add a bit more sugar if you wanted... maybe a bit of yeast nutrients as well if you do.

it was, 1.050 or 1.110 i think.

and i used ec-1118 with a nutrient

and is it supposed to smell like eggs.... ?

Last edited:
You might want to double check the SG as Flem suggested. Based on the SG of 1.0, you could rack it, I think. I am still new at this too.

I am also curious what your starting SG was. You could add a bit more sugar if you wanted... maybe a bit of yeast nutrients as well if you do.

i would love to add more sugar.... its a bit dry for my taste. is that as easy as it sounds?..... just add sugar nutrient and more yeast? start the primary again?

o jeez i probably sound stupid with how new i am at this

1.11 and 1.05 are very different. If it was 1.05, then that would be why you are already down to 1.0

If that is the case, you should immediately add more sugar... there is already active yeast that will start to eat at the sugar. You will not need to add more yeast. Yeast energizer though, which should have Diammonium Phosphate and Yeast hulls for vitamin B, possibly some other things. Be careful not to add too much diammonium phosphate.

Re: your comment about it not being sweet enough... at this point, you would not be adding sugar to make it sweeter, you would be adding it to raise the alcohol content. Lalvin EC-1118 is great yeast, and is rated up to 18%. This means that it will keep producing alcohol until 18% ABV, then will start to die off from the alcohol. Some yeast will die off around 14% ABV.

As for making it sweeter, that is something you will be doing in a month or two, don't even worry about it yet... but just so you know, before you do that, you need to add potassium sorbate, which will prevent refermentation at that time.

Oh, and NO, it is NOT supposed to smell like eggs. That is BAD if it does. That would likely mean it is developing hydrogen sulphide. There are things one can do to try to fix it. Wineries add a poison called copper sulfate. Racking it could help. If it really does smell like rotten eggs, adding more sugar at this point might not be a good idea.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can help you more with the hydrogen sulphide thing.

Let's slow down here a minute, Azra. There is a huge difference between an initial SG of 1.110 and 1.050. The former would indicate an ABV of about 14.5% and the latter would indicate an ABV of 6.6%. We really need accurate information in order to advise you correctly.

Assuming that the current SG is 1.000, I would rack into a clean and sanitized carboy and put the wine under airlock. Do not add any sugar or anything else at this time. You should ferment the wine to dry, i.e. SG 0.995 or less and be sure that fermentation is complete by getting a constant SG reading for at least 3 days. If you choose to sweeten the wine, that comes much later after adding k-meta, k-sorbate and fining agents.

If you are getting a "rotten egg smell" (i.e. H2S), that could indicate that the yeast is stressed. Stir the wine vigorously with your stirring spoon for about 3 minutes and put it back under airlock. Let us know what happens next.

It would help us a lot if you could tell us what the wine is, if this is a kit, juice, grapes or other fruit, give us an accurate initial SG and current SG with the dates of each. Don't get discouraged and don't panic. There is a high probability that the people on this board can get you through this.

Last edited:
Let's slow down here a minute, Azra. There is a huge difference between an initial SG of 1.110 and 1.050. The former would indicate an ABV of about 14.5% and the latter would indicate an ABV of 6.6%. We really need accurate information in order to advise you correctly.

Assuming that the current SG is 1.000, I would rack into a clean and sanitized carboy and put the wine under airlock. Do not add any sugar or anything else at this time. You should ferment the wine to dry, i.e. SG 0.995 or less and be sure that fermentation is complete by getting a constant SG reading for at least 3 days. If you choose to sweeten the wine, that comes much later after adding k-meta, k-sorbate and fining agents.

If you are getting a "rotten egg smell" (i.e. H2S), that could indicate that the yeast is stressed. Stir the wine vigorously with your stirring spoon for about 3 minutes and put it back under airlock. Let us know what happens next.

It would help us a lot if you could tell us what the wine is, if this is a kit, juice, grapes or other fruit, give us an accurate initial SG and current SG with the dates of each. Don't get discouraged and don't panic. There is a high probability that the people on this board can get you through this.

thanks rocky lol, i will do as you say. to be completely honest this is my second attempt rather than my first. i just havent had a success yet.

im most certain the sg was at 1.110 at 11-20-11 that morning. before i started the yeast, after the Camden tabs. right now the sg IS 1.000 the mixture is something i made with 100% grape juice 100%pom and 100% apple. all store bought. i also added sugar to bump up the sg.

stir vigorously. check.

ps... i stirred extra vigorously just in case ;)

also i wanted ask if the yeast could be stressed because of the acidity levels?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back