Show me your workspace please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
I know we have a photo section here but I thought I would throw this out for general discussion. I was hoping that I could see photos of your wine making area. I need some ideas on how to set me up a nice workable area that is not in everyones way.

Show me your "Winery" I would love to see it. I know a few have posted some pics around here but thought it would be nice to have them all in one area to share and show off to everyone.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe,

Wish I had awine making area to show you!Cove Cottage wines are made in the kitchen and the carboys are storedeither in the dining roomor hiddenbehind a big chair in our bedroom. Now, isn't that a sad story.
smiley19.gif
I'm very envious of all of those folks who have basements.

We are with Cove Cottage..in the kitchen.

Carboy's..full.... under skirts..in the kitchen.

Small Supplies..in plastic tool boxes [kitchen]...and in the office closet.

Supplies...in the kitchen pantry.

Bottled Wine...sharing the root cellar.

Juices for wines..in the root cellar.

Kettles, bottling buckets, etc....in the root cellar.

Empty bottles...some in a shed, clean ones stored on my treadmill in the sewing room...

.....top that for low-tech.

Well darn, guess everyone does it just like me then.
smiley19.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Yup, in the kitchen... every inch that I have is resented by everyone else,
even to the point of stacking things right next to my carboy. Even the box
with all the tools and chemicals has to sit on top of the breadmaker.
Edited by: peterCooper

Damn...call me the spoiled rotten home winemaker with half of my basement dedicated to making and storing wine,mead and beer!

My wife has said many times that my wine making addiction has taken over the basement and I agree but I remind her that we are blessed to have the space to help do this with ease due to our setup.

So hereare a few shots of Valley Brew:

Slop sink and empty bottle storage outside the main fermentation room. My empty bottle inventory is getting dangerously low and have put out the word to all my friends to help me out.

2005-11-29_174658_P1010022.JPG

Another rack next to the door to the ferm room with bins of empty beer bottles and other stuff. Yes I had to get a sign made for the door...lol

2005-11-29_174845_P1010023.JPG

This is the original counter in the room above the old dresser which holds most of the small equipment and other goodies. I use this mainly for primaries now.

2005-11-29_175134_P1010024.JPG

After I got real crazy with adding more carboys to the equipment train in order to make lots of wine for inventory I had to add asecond shelf for secondaries and bulk aging wines.

2005-11-29_181119_P1010025.JPG

A shot of whole ferm room and the cart works awesome to move clean equipment/bottles from room to sink and back.

Holy crap I have a lot of empty carboys...man I hate that! Small lab on end for testing wines.

Yup I am spoiled and totally into this awesome hobby...but I can think of worse addictions to have.

2005-11-29_175822_P1010027.JPG
Edited by: masta

Masta: Your very fortunate! Not just to have all that equipment, room and time....... But to have such a supportive wife. You are truely blessed.

Our wine making room is the spare bedroom right now. In the future I will have a small room built out in the basement for the wine making process, and another built out off the family room as the wine cellar. But, those rooms, just like making wine, just takestime.....Edited by: jobe05

Wait a minute..........

Masta..... In picture #4 you have a little boom box with a bunch of CD's next to it.......... How much time do you spend down in that room? lol

Yes I am fortunate and this whole setup didn't happen overnight...it has been 4 years in the making. We do not have a very large house at all so we have found you need to take advantage of all the available space you can in the most efficient manner.

Yes the wife is very supportive and I always make sure she has plenty of her type of wine in stock!
smiley36.gif

How can you make wine and clean bottles without some good tunes? The kids always know where to find me when they hear the music playing.

Edited by: masta

Masta,

You have a real nice operation there!!!!! What a great place to spend your time!!!!

I'm just proud to have a few kitchen counters and a couple of closets and little laundry room perfect for fermentation.......It doesn't matter what you have as long as you can get such satisfaction from your hobby and spread cheer amongst your friends and family.

We are all in this together for the same reasons!!!!!!!!!

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

What a nice set up, I to am envious. I only wish I could have a basement here as I am used to them being a Yankee but alas here, if you dig down a few feet you hit water. It really sucks living at sea level and in a swamp.
smiley7.gif
If I dug a basement I would have an Indoor Pool.
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

We too are spread out around the house. We have wine storage in our downstairs pantry. We got this lovely wine rack from Sam's Club OnLine.

2005-11-29_193314_wine_rack.jpg

Weaging carboys in the family room, under boxes. We uncovered the carboys to make a pretty picture.

2005-11-29_193358_carboy_4.jpg

We do our racking in the kitchen.

2005-11-29_193432_racking.jpg

And Bert does all his mad scientist work at the kitchen table too.
smiley34.gif

2005-11-29_193538_Mad_Scientist.jpg

Primary fermenters stand in the office until they're ready for racking. Empty bottles and carboys are in the basement, in boxes, awaiting use. Chemicals are in storage containers in the basement, sometimes the guest room upstairs. Other equipment sits in Bert's dresser in a bus tray. (We don't want to get too far away from it!) Books and paperwork are stored under the microwave, right next to Bert's chair. He never gets too far from his books!
smiley2.gif

And most of all, the corkscrew hangs on a hook next to the kitchen window, over the sink.

WOW!!! I see I must stop investing in trees, shrubs and vines and start buying more carboys...
Hope to see more photos of others winemaking set-ups....really finding it interesting.
smiley20.gif

I can relate to washing bottles in the laundry tub.
Got to find my way up to Warren.....Edited by: Northern Winos

Awesome setup PWP and Bert looks pretty serious with the lab work...good thing he has a nice glass of wine nearby in case he gets stressed!
smiley32.gif

Masta,

I like the gift baskets. I need to make a few to have around just in case of an emergency. (I tend to forget special occasions
smiley5.gif
).

Hollow Oak Wines is a corner of my laundry room. I really like this setup because I can rack from top shelf to bottom shelf with very little trouble. BUT getting that carboy back up on the top is murder!

2005-11-30_084225_winery1.jpg

Tools and chemicals go in the cabinet drawers. I have a sink at the bar that is a bit small, but works well when I need some water.

Ready to drink wine is stored in the bar.

2005-11-30_090412_winery2.jpg

Wine for aging is stored in my super-secret-under-the-staircase storage area. No one knows that it's there...so SHHHHHHH!

Thanks for all the comments. N.W., just let us know when you want to come for a visit. We're not very exciting so we're home a lot. We keep busy working on those wines! We could even sample some wines!
smiley36.gif

Most of my equiptment is stored upstairs, my active wines in progress
are in the kitchen on a shelf I made, right now the top shelf has beer
in boxes (carbonating) with trash bags on them in case of a leak, my
finished wines are in one of my bedrooms with the temp set at 50
degrees, I do my work on the kitchen counter.

2005-11-30_205539_bottles_004.jpg

2005-11-30_205905_bottles_011.jpg

2005-11-30_210008_bottles_010.jpg

Back