Is Riesling doable for me?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillcapper

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve done some kit wine and love the process. My wifes family in Germany has made Riesling for at least 4 generations (Baden area, smaller scale) and we’re heading over again in September to help with the harvest and pressing.

So I plan to really tap their knowledge base but recognize that I’m in north west Piedmont area of NC and not in Baden Wittenberg. I live about 30 miles south of the Yadkin Valley (big winemaking area) and have some room for I would estimate at least 30 or so vines on my 2 acres that gets necessary exposure. I’ve got soil pretty typical for the area, mostly red clay with some rock. I’d sure like to consider growing my own fruit on a very small scale.

So with some soil testing, amendments etc is it reasonable to think I could grow some decent Riesling? They do it just north of here but don’t know what that might mean for me.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

I have no opinion on whether you can grow Riesling. But I will say I really enjoy growing my own grapes, it is rewarding but can be frustrating (disease, weather, bugs...). I started smaller and am expanding. You do need free time if you plan on doing the work.

I do think if I asked the forum if I could grow Tempranillo, Malbec and Tannat in SLC I suspect the answer would have been heavily skewed to "no".

I took the risk - the downside was pretty low for me, $150 of vines and some time. I would have built a trellis anyway for either Hybrid grapes or other climbing plants.

Good luck - as long as it's not your livelyhood I think the risk is low.

So I’ve done some kit wine and love the process. My wifes family in Germany has made Riesling for at least 4 generations (Baden area, smaller scale) and we’re heading over again in September to help with the harvest and pressing.

So I plan to really tap their knowledge base but recognize that I’m in north west Piedmont area of NC and not in Baden Wittenberg. I live about 30 miles south of the Yadkin Valley (big winemaking area) and have some room for I would estimate at least 30 or so vines on my 2 acres that gets necessary exposure. I’ve got soil pretty typical for the area, mostly red clay with some rock. I’d sure like to consider growing my own fruit on a very small scale.

So with some soil testing, amendments etc is it reasonable to think I could grow some decent Riesling? They do it just north of here but don’t know what that might mean for me.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
You’ll get the best advice from local vineyards, especially if they’re growing Riesling, but I imagine you probably could do it. If you look at the map on the second page of this document, it suggests you should be good to grow vinifera: https://site.extension.uga.edu/viti...Choosing-Varieties-NC-Grape-Growers-Guide.pdf. That said, for white grapes on the east coast I’d personally consider looking into hybrids as they’re much easier to grow and care for. Reds can be a different story as there is a significant difference in red hybrid tannins, phenols, etc. that can make them more difficult to make a quality red wine from but hybrid whites can be indistinguishable from vinifera. You might think about Aravelle, which was just released by Cornell and has Riesling as a parent, or Traminette, which has Gewürztraminer as a parent. I haven’t tried Aravelle, but I have tried a Traminette grown and vinified by @VinesnBines that was excellent. I grow both hybrids and vinifera in Northern Virginia and the hybrids tend to be much less of a headache.

You’ll get the best advice from local vineyards, especially if they’re growing Riesling, but I imagine you probably could do it. If you look at the map on the second page of this document, it suggests you should be good to grow vinifera: https://site.extension.uga.edu/viti...Choosing-Varieties-NC-Grape-Growers-Guide.pdf. That said, for white grapes on the east coast I’d personally consider looking into hybrids as they’re much easier to grow and care for. Reds can be a different story as there is a significant difference in red hybrid tannins, phenols, etc. that can make them more difficult to make a quality red wine from but hybrid whites can be indistinguishable from vinifera. You might think about Aravelle, which was just released by Cornell and has Riesling as a parent, or Traminette, which has Gewürztraminer as a parent. I haven’t tried Aravelle, but I have tried a Traminette grown and vinified by @VinesnBines that was excellent. I grow both hybrids and vinifera in Northern Virginia and the hybrids tend to be much less of a headache.
Thanks for your response, that’s exactly the informed opinion I was hoping for. I am firmly in zone 2, close to zone 3. My dream would be to get some root stock from my wife’s family in Germany and continue that tradition here. I’m hoping they can help me decide if that’s worth trying. Meanwhile, there is a winery just a few miles from me that grows Traminette and makes a very good wine with it. I appreciate the insight on hybrids vs. vinifera and that they tend to be easier to deal with. Thanks again and I’m sure you’ll hear from me again if you don’t mind. Where are you in Northern, VA?

My dream would be to get some root stock from my wife’s family in Germany and continue that tradition here. I’m hoping they can help me decide if that’s worth trying.
Careful, you don’t want to get crosswise with Customs as you can’t bring plant material into the country from overseas. Also, the actual rootstock is likely a native American one with Riesling scions grafted on unless their vineyards predate the phylloxera outbreak in Europe. I understand the sentiment but think you’re better off getting your vines from a domestic nursery that can get you (legal) disease free plants grafted on a rootstock suited to your soil. My wife is from a region in France that produces wines from Gamay. I’d like to grow some myself, but Gamay is extremely difficult to find sources for in the US. Instead, I’m growing Marquette, which like Gamay has Pinot Noir a parent and I use a more traditional old world approach similar to the winemakers I talk to in France. I think learning about how your wife’s family makes their Riesling is going to be the more important piece as the way they grow it is likely going to be different because their growing conditions and season are going to be very different than yours.

Careful, you don’t want to get crosswise with Customs as you can’t bring plant material into the country from overseas. Also, the actual rootstock is likely a native American one with Riesling scions grafted on unless their vineyards predate the phylloxera outbreak in Europe. I understand the sentiment but think you’re better off getting your vines from a domestic nursery that can get you (legal) disease free plants grafted on a rootstock suited to your soil. My wife is from a region in France that produces wines from Gamay. I’d like to grow some myself, but Gamay is extremely difficult to find sources for in the US. Instead, I’m growing Marquette, which like Gamay has Pinot Noir a parent and I use a more traditional old world approach similar to the winemakers I talk to in France. I think learning about how your wife’s family makes their Riesling is going to be the more important piece as the way they grow it is likely going to be different because their growing conditions and season are going to be very different than yours.
Thanks again for this good advice, i know you’re right. Can you recommend a good nursery that you have used that ships root stock that I might work with? Also, just curious the area you are making wine in N. VA?

I am firmly in zone 2, close to zone 3.
Are you talking about USDA growing zones or NC wine areas? Where in NC? The Yadkin Valley wine region is pretty big. NC like VA has a huge variety of growing conditions.

I have tried a Traminette grown and vinified by @VinesnBines that was excellent. I grow both hybrids and vinifera in Northern Virginia and the hybrids tend to be much less of a headache.
Thanks for the kind words Cynewulf!

I'm in the mountains of SW VA, 30 miles north of Bristol VA/TN. The Nicewonder Farm and Vineyards in Bristol are growing vinifera but I'm at a higher elevation (2100 ft) and more prone to late Spring frost so I can't coax a decent vinifera crop and the vines are suffering from winter cold. Riesling will/sort of do better but still, the frosts and winter die back take a toll even on the hybrids. Cynewulf is right that hybrids are easier with respect to disease and care but vinifera are easier to train and maintain the canopy.

All that said, you should give your dream a chance and try some Reisling. I buy vines from Double A Vineyards. They are great to work with and shipping and delivery dates are exact.

Thanks again for this good advice, i know you’re right. Can you recommend a good nursery that you have used that ships root stock that I might work with? Also, just curious the area you are making wine in N. VA?
Like VinesnBines, I use Double A and have been very happy with them. They sell both vines and rootstock for grafting, if that’s what you’re looking for. I’m around 25 miles west of DC.

Are you talking about USDA growing zones or NC wine areas? Where in NC? The Yadkin Valley wine region is pretty big. NC like VA has a huge variety of growing conditions.
I believe it’s NC wine growing area map. If you look at a map I’m a few miles SW of the I-40 and I-77 junction.

I'm in the mountains of SW VA, 30 miles north of Bristol VA/TN. The Nicewonder Farm and Vineyards in Bristol are growing vinifera but I'm at a higher elevation (2100 ft) and more prone to late Spring frost so I can't coax a decent vinifera crop and the vines are suffering from winter cold. Riesling will/sort of do better but still, the frosts and winter die back take a toll even on the hybrids. Cynewulf is right that hybrids are easier with respect to disease and care but vinifera are easier to train and maintain the canopy.

All that said, you should give your dream a chance and try some Reisling. I buy vines from Double A Vineyards. They are great to work with and shipping and delivery dates are exact.
Your area would definitely be a little colder later and higher elevation than me, I’m about 900 feet. I’m going to check out Double A vineyards and give them a call. Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Latest posts

Back