Should I be Concerned?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy012

Junior
Reaction score
Yesterday I started a batch of hard cider.
For the recipe I used:
- 1 gallon of 100% pasteurized cider
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- yeast nutrient
- Red Star champagne yeast
First I sanitized everything thing, heated up a little juice on the stove to dissolve the brown sugar into, poured the juice in the carboy once it was cool, then added the nutrient and yeast.

It has currently been over 24 hours and the fermentation is very minimal. I have never used champagne yeast so I am not sure if it takes longer to start fermenting.

Also there are very small bubbles rising up the side of the carboy, but not a bubbling fermentation like previous wines/ciders I have made.

Any advice would help!
Thanks -Jeremy

24 hours and its going, sounds very good to me. Some yeast can take almost 3 days to get started!

Alright Thank you.

I guess there probably are differences in the aggressiveness of fermentation depending on if you use fresh fruit vs juice.

If it turns out well I'll shoot for a 5 gallon batch next time :dg

I have had wine just sparkel like made and never foam at all, they turned out fine

Jeremy:

The only reliable way to be sure that fermentation has started is with specific gravity readings. Do you have a hydrometer? If not, you should get one.

Steve

Red Star is a slow one to start off. You are fine however like Luc mentioned, making a yeast starter would have sped things up in your must. You are good though.

It will pick up. How fast though will depend on your room temp.

Thank you all for the advice, I will make a starter next time to minimize spoiling. The fermentation has started steadily after about 48 hours. I have noticed that the fermentation isn't foaming like others i've made, but this is most likely due to it being a cider.

Room temp is between 62-68 degrees

Thanks-Jeremy

Latest posts

Back