Shipping - glass carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
Thought I'd put this comment here in the beginner section because many of "us beginners" are buying & having carboys shipped.

Last week I found, what I thought was a great deal on 6 gal glass carboys. $30. & free shipping from amazon. Heck. They even got her on 6-2 when the tracking email said 6-7. I was excited.

I am lucky. Because the GLASS carboys were shipped in a cardboard box with just one layer of bubble wrap & no "fragil" stickers or anything on the box. I've had fed ex bust a plastic bag full of juice. I can't believe these 2 carboys made it here in one piece especially with absolutely nothing on the box about being glass or fragil.

Wanted to let everyone know about this in case they were thinking about ordering & the risk they were taking. Thanks. Brian

The risk is small as many of us have done it and several have Been broken but Amazon refundedmmoney immediately with no hassle and no questions.

Yes I agree I just recieved a three gallon carboy with no problems though

I just can't believe Amazon didn't put "Fragile" or "Glass".

Over the years I've had terrible luck with FED EX. They busted a wine kit recently. How hard to you have to drop a box to bust a double lined plastic bag full of juice? really. The boxes looked like they were dragged behind the truck.

These carboys came USPS. & they typically (for me) take a little better care of the packages.

These packages were in great shape - thanks USPS.

Brian

I just can't believe Amazon didn't put "Fragile" or "Glass".

Over the years I've had terrible luck with FED EX. They busted a wine kit recently. How hard to you have to drop a box to bust a double lined plastic bag full of juice? really. The boxes looked like they were dragged behind the truck.

These carboys came USPS. & they typically (for me) take a little better care of the packages.

These packages were in great shape - thanks USPS.

Brian

I've ordered carboys (paklab) from Amazon a few times. The packaging used to be even worse. Amazon put a hold on them for a while, improved packaging (original box, bubble wrap, outer box) and started shipping again.

These things are (were?) a Very Good Deal. The page no longer mentions FREE Super Saver shipping though ...

I have a friend that worked for UPS and he told me that if it had fragile on it, they figured it was packaged so that it was un-breakable, so they treated those packages rougher than any of the others. True or not, I don't know?

Semper Fi

These things are (were?) a Very Good Deal. The page no longer mentions FREE Super Saver shipping though ...

I just got two
6 gallon carboys from Amazon for $30 each. Free super saver shipping!

I dont order any glass through the mail because I really hate having to deal with these problems.

The Pharmasave 10 minutes from me sells Cilindro 6Gal Italian Carboys $29.99 regular price. They also sell Vineco 7.5L Cal Connoisseur $39.99 regular price. I really don't know why everything there is so cheap the other local HB shops are about 10-20% more for everything. I would love to be able to shop online for stuff but the shipping is usually a deal breaker

The Pharmasave 10 minutes from me sells Cilindro 6Gal Italian Carboys $29.99 regular price. They also sell Vineco 7.5L Cal Connoisseur $39.99 regular price. I really don't know why everything there is so cheap the other local HB shops are about 10-20% more for everything. I would love to be able to shop online for stuff but the shipping is usually a deal breaker

You're lucky. I would love to shop locally for stuff, but the prices are usually a deal breaker.

Not that there's anything winemaking-related that actually local here!

Back