SG 1.200, when to change from primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually used grape juice cocktail. It doesn't say it has sulfites in it but water is an ingredient. It did bring it down from 1.120 to 1.100 which brought it down from 16% to 13%. I was going to add two more 64 oz bottles to it and hopefully bring it down another 3% to 10%. Probably going to taste mostly of grape instead of the black berries and peaches.

That's right, you had a typo at first and it was 1.120 not 1.200 so you are close to good with 1.100. Another couple should get you where you want to be. That's good. I say, let the yeast rip! Should be an interesting combination when done!

OK... I added two more and it was at 1.085 before I added it came down to 1.075 after the two added. Didn't come down as much this time, but at least its a little bit more. Keep your fingers crossed. Thanks for all the help on this... lesson learned.

If you have a LHBS close by, you could consider using a fruit puree such as Oregon. I made a blackberry which will be bottled tomorrow morning and used this puree along with fresh berries. I added to much sugar in the begining and toned it down by using the puree. I did increase the batch size because I used additional liquid (water), but it brought my SG down toacceptable levels.

Just my 2cnts worth!

Salute!
smiley1.gif

In the fresh juice kit i have now it says to
"Check S.G.: if 0.990-0.996 it will be dry, if 1.000 it will be a medium wine, if 1.002-1.006 it will be a sweet wine." It says to add your K-meta and K-sorbate to stop at desired dryness. I was planing on stopping at 1.004. Should I not do this? I like my Lambruso fairly sweet.

If I finish to dry at .992 how should I bring it back up to the 1.004 mark?
I have a bottled of wine conditioner, however, I hoped to never need it.

Stopping a fermentation in progress is risky at best and usually requires more k-meta then I would recommend. i would let it finish and sweeten back with a simple syrup consisting of 1 cup of boiled water with 2 cups of sugar dissolved in that boiling water and then after it has cooled slowly add it till you are happy with the taste. Taste frequently so as not to over sweeten our wine.

Latest posts

Back