Seibel wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePlantGuy978

Muscadines And More
Reaction score
Just racked my Seibel and Seibel “false wine”
Both are dark red, samples were great. Actually the “second” was as dark as the first and had more flavor???
In Nov. I plan to bottle my Seibel and plum wine from last year. Last years Seibel is DARK, DARK, red and my plum is a mellow golden.

I am guessing that you are not in the US. When you say "false wine" are you describing some variation of what we call "second wine" here in the States? Second wine is usually made by adding sugar and water to unsqueezed grape skins and re-fermenting the wine. It is normally not the same quality as the "first wine" but is drinkable and fit for guests and "not so good" friends.

Actually I am in Dalton, GA. Must have gotten the expression "False Wine" from some of my old wine books published in the 1970s. You are right, a "second wine" is usually not as good as the first. This batch is an exception. Most be the grapes I am using, Seibel.

PlantGuy, good for you. I am not sure how that happened because our second wine was always lighter and thinner than our first wine. Siebels are and interesting group of grapes and there are so many of them. Did you grow the grapes locally or buy them?

Rocky,
The Seibels that I used were actually SEIBEL 9549 DeChaunac. I grew them my self. Have about 8 vines. Had a bad case of Black Rot, but was able to save enogth to make a 5 gal batch and a "Second" batch of 3 gal.
I have 5 gal. aging from last year which I plan to bottle in Nov.

Hans

Back